Apple May Soon Start Manufacturing iPhones & Other Apple Products in India!
In what could be yet another big win for #MakeInIndia initiative launched by the Modi Government, Apple is now keen to start manufacturing iPhones in India. Citing unnamed senior Govt officials WSJ (paywalled) has said that Apple is currently in discussions with the Government.
Apple wants to assemble their iPhones in India, which are currently imported as CBU or completely built units, due to which iPhone prices are very high (in fact some of the highest in the world). Assembling iPhones in the country will mean iPhone prices will come down and will be at par or even lower than the American market.
And Apple may not limit manufacturing to iPhones only – other Apple products like iPad, iMac, Macbooks may also be assembled in India!
Rumours about Apple’s local manufacturing and local retail stores have been making rounds for more than a year now. These rumours gained further momentum when Tim Cook visited India in July and met Narendra Modi.
Earlier in May 2016, Foxconn, the Taiwan based contract electronics manufacturer and chief supplier of Apple had chosen Maharashtra to manufacture their ‘Made in India’ iPhones. As per reports, Foxconn is spending close to $10 billion to create a massive manufacturing plant, which would be spread across 1200 acres.
While there has been no official statement from Apple themselves, it is clear that Apple’s local manufacturing in India will start sooner than later. Government has already relaxed local sourcing norms for manufacturing in India, which was a major roadblock for companies like Apple, Xiaomi and others to commence local manufacturing.
While it may be too late for iPhone 8 to have a ‘Made in India’ tag, it is highly likely we may see iPhone 9 with one!
Make in India Success
Make in India initiative has seen some great success, especially in smartphone manufacturing space, where majority of handset makers have either already setup their manufacturing units or are in the process of doing so. ( See the list at the bottom the article)
In fact, Make in India success can be gauged from the fact that it has send Jitters to China with one of their leading tabloids warning about India’s sudden rise in manufacturing space.
Here are major highlights of Make in India vision:
- Samsung to invest upto $1 billion in Uttar Pradesh; Sony will start manufacturing as well
- Ford will open Rs 6000 crore factory in India
- Foxconn, SoftBank and Bharti to invest $20 billion in Solar Energy
- Foxconn will create 10 lakh jobs in India and manufacture iPhone
- Huawei gets permission to start manufacturing
- LG announced Rs 1000 crore investment for domestic manufacturing
- Hero Group to manufacture electronics products in India
- Microsoft and Motorola will start local manufacturing
- Gionee will kickstart local manufacturing of their phones
- Lenovo will manufacture smartphones in India
- Airtel will make Make in India set-top boxes
- Japan to establish 11 industrial townships & double their investment
- Rs 4.5 Lakh Crore investments pledged during Digital India week
- Lava to invest Rs 2615 crore in India
- Foxconn commits investment of Rs 31000 crore in Maharashtra
- Xiaomi to start manufacturing at Sri City
- Phicomm to invest Rs 6300 crore in India
- ICICI Bank launches robotic locker made under Make in India
- Toyota to invest Rs 1000 crore
- Ericsson to start their 2nd unit
- Oppo will start manufacturing in India
- Sony Will Manufacture Xperia Phones in India
- Aricent Will Invest $500 Million
- Dell May Invest in Smart Cities
- Siemens will invest €1 billion and create 4000 jobs
- Gionee Partners With Foxconn and Dixon for local manufacturing
- Make in India OS: BOSS
- Asus Pledges Alliance With Make in India
- Gionee launches their first Make in India smartphone
- Make in India research project initiated; annual corpus of Rs 250 crore provided
- Now, Boeing To Invest Billions of Dollars In India