Asus Joins Make In India Club; Partners With Foxconn To Manufacture Zenfone 2 At Sri City Plant
Asus, the Taiwanese multinational electronics firm which is World’s 5th largest PC manufacturer has joined the Make in India club. They have pledged their alliance with Make in India vision by announcing that all their handsets would be now manufactured in India.
They have partnered with Foxconn to manufacture their recently launched Zenfone 2 series at their Sri City plant in Andhra Pradesh. The new variants of Zeonfone 2 series has already been declared as one of the most popular smartphones in the country.
Peter Chang, Regional Head – South Asia & Country Manager – System Business Group – ASUS India, said, “The Indian government’s focus on ‘Make in India’ has opened a plethora of opportunities for international companies. It is an opportune time to make the announcement as it will enable us to bring our cutting edge products to consumers who are looking for features and design sensibilities of a high-end smartphone at an economic price.”
Thus, Asus has joined other mobile phone makers such as Samsung, Sony, Xiaomi, LG, Motorola, Huawei, Gionee, Lenovo, Lava, Oppo and Phicomm to kick start local manufacturing, thereby increasing employment in the country, and infusing fresh investments.
As per reports coming in, Asus and Foxconn will manufacture 150,000 smartphones every month, which is almost 80% of their overall sale in India. Zenfone 2 Laser, which is one of the newly launched variants of Zenfone 2, would be the first model to get rolled out from their Sri City facility.
Next in line in Zenfone Go, which is priced Rs 7999, and was launched last month in India. Subsequently, other models would follow suit.
Asus is aiming to capture 5% of the Indian smartphone market by 2016, and their decision to start local manufacturing can be a major factor in this mission. Local manufacturing can bring down the cost, introduce faster launches and at the same time, and enable companies to sell directly online.
A win-win situation for all.
All major Make in India investments Announcements till date:
- Samsung to invest upto $1 billion in Uttar Pradesh; Sony will start manufacturing as well
- Ford will open Rs 6000 crore factory in India
- Foxconn, SoftBank and Bharti to invest $20 billion in Solar Energy
- Foxconn will create 10 lakh jobs in India and manufacture iPhone
- Huawei gets permission to start manufacturing
- LG announced Rs 1000 crore investment for domestic manufacturing
- Hero Group to manufacture electronics products in India
- Microsoft and Motorola will start local manufacturing
- Gionee will kickstart local manufacturing of their phones
- Lenovo will manufacture smartphones in India
- Airtel will make Make in India set-top boxes
- Japan to establish 11 industrial townships & double their investment
- Rs 4.5 Lakh Crore investments pledged during Digital India week
- Lava to invest Rs 2615 crore in India
- Foxconn commits investment of Rs 31000 crore in Maharashtra
- Xiaomi to start manufacturing at Sri City
- Phicomm to invest Rs 6300 crore in India
- ICICI Bank launches robotic locker made under Make in India
- Toyota to invest Rs 1000 crore
- Ericsson to start their 2nd unit
- Oppo will start manufacturing in India
- Sony Will Manufacture Xperia Phones in India
- Aricent Will Invest $500 Million
- Dell May Invest in Smart Cities
- Siemens will invest €1 billion and create 4000 jobs
- Gionee Partners With Foxconn and Dixon for local manufacturing
- Make in India OS: BOSS
- Asus Pledges Alliance With Make in India