#MakeinIndia OnePlus To Start Local Production in India With FoxConn
It’s amazing how every major mobile manufacturer in the world wants to setup their shop in India. With over 15 manufacturers either announcing their intention or having already setup manufacturing base in this year alone, one cannot help but think that Government’s ambitious ‘Make in India’ campaign has been an overwhelming success.
Today, another fast growing mobile brand – OnePlus – announced its plans for local production of its smartphones in India through contract manufacturing at ‘Foxconn’s Rising Stars factory’ within the Sri City Integrated Business City in the state of Andhra Pradesh by end of 2015.
The collaboration with Foxconn was formally announced by Pete Lau, Founder & CEO, OnePlus and Vikas Agarwal, General Manager – India, OnePlus .
In regards to this Pete Lau said, “Today is a big day for us. Producing smartphones in India is one of the most important decisions that we have made so far at OnePlus, and we are thankful to the Government of Andhra Pradesh and Foxconn for helping us make this happen. India being one of our biggest markets worldwide, we are committed to a long term sustainable growth path. This move will strengthen our presence and help us step up momentum in India.”
OnePlus has been one of the most talked about phone brand in India since the launch of OnePlus One last year. Such was the frenzy for their Flagship OnePlus One in 2014, that people paid money to get invites on the phone.
In August 2015, OnePlus Two was launched, which too received overwhelming response worldwide, with over 4,000,000 people registering for their invite system. Even now, invites for OnePlus two are sought by users across India.
OnePlus has not announced which phones will be manufactured in India – however, rumours are afloat that Oneplus will be manufacturing their mid range phone – OnePlus X – slated to be launched soon in India.
OnePlus has said that local production of OnePlus’ upcoming devices will start before end of this year. The production facility at Sri City will have a cumulative peak capacity of producing up to 500,000 units per month, thus scalable to locally fulfill the demand for OnePlus’ smartphones in India in the future. The facility is expected to generate direct employment of over 1000 full time workers, thereby giving further support to the Government’s Make in India initiative.
Here are all major Make in India Announcements till date:
- Samsung to invest upto $1 billion in Uttar Pradesh; Sony will start manufacturing as well
- Ford will open Rs 6000 crore factory in India
- Foxconn, SoftBank and Bharti to invest $20 billion in Solar Energy
- Foxconn will create 10 lakh jobs in India and manufacture iPhone
- Huawei gets permission to start manufacturing
- LG announced Rs 1000 crore investment for domestic manufacturing
- Hero Group to manufacture electronics products in India
- Microsoft and Motorola will start local manufacturing
- Gionee will kickstart local manufacturing of their phones
- Lenovo will manufacture smartphones in India
- Airtel will make Make in India set-top boxes
- Japan to establish 11 industrial townships & double their investment
- Rs 4.5 Lakh Crore investments pledged during Digital India week
- Lava to invest Rs 2615 crore in India
- Foxconn commits investment of Rs 31000 crore in Maharashtra
- Xiaomi to start manufacturing at Sri City
- Phicomm to invest Rs 6300 crore in India
- ICICI Bank launches robotic locker made under Make in India
- Toyota to invest Rs 1000 crore
- Ericsson to start their 2nd unit
- Oppo will start manufacturing in India
- Sony Will Manufacture Xperia Phones in India
- Aricent Will Invest $500 Million
- Dell May Invest in Smart Cities
- Siemens will invest €1 billion and create 4000 jobs
- Gionee Partners With Foxconn and Dixon for local manufacturing
- Make in India OS: BOSS
- Asus Pledges Alliance With Make in India