The Government of Canada has shared that it will welcome immigrants who bring the skills needed for the country’s economy to help address acute labour shortages.
Ramping up intake
Using the new National Occupational Classification (NOC) categories will allow Canada to bring in global talent in high-demand sectors like health care, construction, and transportation.
Here’s some of the occupations that get a chance.
Long-term care aides, hospital attendants, elementary and secondary school teacher assistants, and transport truck drivers, to be precise.
Meaning that it is welcoming, Canada is to bring in global talent in high-demand sectors like health care, construction, and transportation.
Building labor market
The NOC system is used to track and categorize all jobs in the Canadian labour market and is updated to reflect changes in the economy and in the nature of work
The Minister’s commitment to expand pathways to permanent residency for temporary workers and international students is also a part.
More jobs will become eligible for the programs managed under Express Entry.
Through this update, 16 occupations that were not previously eligible can now benefit from expanded pathways to permanent residency.
“We are using all of the tools at our disposal to tackle labour shortages, particularly in key sectors like health care, construction, and transportation.
Challenges ahead of Canada
These changes will support Canadians in need of these services, and they will support employers by providing them with a more robust workforce who we can depend on to drive our economy forward into a prosperous future.
I’m thrilled to announce expanded pathways to permanent residence in Canada for these in-demand workers,”
said Sean Fraser, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship.
Foreign nationals with work experience in the following 16 occupations are now eligible to apply through Express Entry:
1. Dental assistants and dental laboratory assistants
2. Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates
3. Pharmacy technical assistants and pharmacy assistants
4. Elementary and secondary school teacher assistants
5. Sheriffs and Bailiffs
6. Correctional service officers
7. By-law enforcement and other regulatory officers
8. Estheticians, electrologists and related occupations
9. Residential and commercial installers and servicers
10. Pest controllers and fumigators
11. Other repairers and servicers
12. Transport truck drivers
13. Bus drivers, subway operators and other transit operators
14. Heavy equipment operators
15. Aircraft assemblers
16. Aircraft assembly inspectors