Bal Aadhaar Launched; It Is Blue And Doesn’t Have Biometric Identification!
Although Bal Aadhaar is not a necessity per se, but as per Govt. sources, this will be required when the kid grows up.
Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), the nodal authority for issuing Aadhaar cards, has announced the rollout of ‘Bal Aadhaar’, meant for kids under 5 years of age.
Bal Aadhaar literally means Kid’s Aadhaar.
We will soon share the steps, using which you can apply and get a Bal Aadhaaf for your toddler.
Meanwhile, let’s us first discuss why this Aadhaar is required, and what are the interesting features of this card.
Bal Aadhaar Will Have No Biometric Identification
UIDAI has declared that Bal Aadhaar will have no biometric identification, like Iris scan or fingerprint scans, as their parents would be accompanying them anywhere such identification is required.
However, once the kid crosses 5 years of age, then a regular Aadhaar would be issued, which will have the biometric details.
UIDAI said this in a tweet:
Biometrics are not developed for children before 5 years of age. Hence, a child’s Aadhaar data does not include biometric info like fingerprints and Iris scan. Once the child crosses 5, biometrics need to be updated. #AadhaarForMyChild pic.twitter.com/sdlQTG1Jqr
— Aadhaar (@UIDAI) February 21, 2018
To differentiate such Aadhaar for kids, UIDAI has put blue color for Bal Aadhaar, which can be instantly recognized.
Although Bal Aadhaar is not a necessity per se, but as per Govt. sources, this will be required when the kid grows up, and applies for Govt. scholarships or grants for higher education.
Even for applying at foreign universities, Bal Aadhaar would be asked for.
How To Get Bal Aadhaar?
Here are the steps:
- Visit official Aadhaar enrollment center with your kid, and fill out the form.
- Take your child’s birth certificate, and one of the parents’ Aadhaar card.
- A photo of the child will be clicked, for the Bal Aadhaar.
- Child’s Bal Aadhaar will linked with one of the parent’s Aadhaar card.
- No biometric details will be captured. Submit your registered mobile number.
- After verification and registration, a confirmation SMS will be sent to the registered number.
- Within 60 days of receiving the confirmation SMS, Bal Aadhaar will be sent to the registered address of the linked Aadhaar card of the parent.
Note here, that Aadhaar rule mandates compulsory conversion of all Bal Aadhaar cards into proper Aadhaar card with biometric details once the kid turns 5 years.
If, even after 7 year of turning 5 years (means 12 years of age), proper Aadhaar is not issued, then the Bal Aadhaar will be suspended.
We will keep you updated, as we receive more inputs.