China based Hurun Institute has released their list of richest Indians, with a cut off of Rs 1600 crore assets. 7 Internet millionaires, who are under-40, have found mention in this list, whose assets have remarkably increased. These are the new age-age digital entrepreneurs who have used Internet to make their fortunes.
For the 4th year in row, Mukesh Ambani with assets of Rs 160,950 crore has been ranked #1, making him the richest man in India as of July 31, 2015 (with USD exchange rate of Rs 64). His younger brother, Anil Ambani, has lost 12 positions to be ranked at #23, with assets which are only 20% of his elder brother.
On one hand Uday Kotak, with assets worth Rs 47,608 cr has entered the top 10 ranking, on the other, Azim Premji has been dethroned from top 5 rank due to his philanthropic activities.
The top 10 richest men in India are:
- Mukesh Ambani, Reliance (Assets: Rs 160,950 crore; location: Mumbai)
- Dilip Sanghvi, Sun Pharma (Assets: Rs 126,290 crore; location: Mumbai)
- SP Hinduja, Hinduja Group (Assets: Rs 103,030 crore; location: London)
- Shiv Nadar, HCL (Assets: 94,020 crore; location: New Delhi)
- Pallonji Mistry, Shapoorji Pallonji (Asstes: Rs 87,290 crore; location: Mumbai)
- L.N. Mittal, ArcelorMittal (Assets: Rs 83,400 crore; location: London)
- Azim Premji, Wipro (Assets: Rs 51,900 crore; location: Bangalore)
- Gautam Adani, Adani Enterprises (Assets: Rs 50,500 crore; location: Ahmedabad)
- Sunil Mittal, Bharti Airtel (Assets: Rs 48,540 crore; location: New Delhi)
- Uday Kotak, Kotak Mahindra (Assets: Rs 47,610 crore; location: Mumbai)
The Rise of Indian Internet Millionaires
But the highlight of this report this year, are the 6, under-40 Internet millionaires from India:
- Binny and Sachin Bansal, Flipkart; (both aged 34 years); Assets: Rs 9010 crore each
- Vijay Sharma, Paytm; Aged 38 years; Assets: Rs 2824 crore
- Ankit Bhati and Bhavish Agarwal, Ola Cab; Age: 28 and 29 years respectively; Assets: Rs 2385 crore each
- Kunal Bahl, Snapdeal; Age: 32 years; Assets: Rs 2314 crore
- Naveen Tiwari, Inmobi; Aged 39 years; Assets: Rs 1683 crore
If we talk about technology, then Rahul Sharma, co-founder of Micromax with assets worth Rs 4070 crore has been included in this under 40 rich list. Rahul is 40 years old.
Some other highlights from the report:
- Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Industries is India’s largest publicly traded company with net worth of Rs 32,35,069 crore, followed by Infosys (Rs 24,76,221 crore) and Sun Pharma (Rs 19,79,884 crore)
- There are total of 124 dollar billionaires in India; which is 15 more than last year
- Cut-off for being featured on top 10 is Rs 47,000 crore; top 50 is Rs 15,100 crore and top 100 is Rs 7900 crore
- The biggest gainer of wealth in India this year has been Dhiraj Rajaram from Mu Sigma, based in Bangalore. His wealth increased by 593% to reach Rs 17,800 crore
- Ankit Bhati, 28, from Ola Cab is also the youngest Indian in this list. Basant Kumar Birla, 94, from Century Textiles is the oldest Indian
- Top 3 richest women from India are: Indu Jain, 78 years old, with assets worth Rs 19,179 crore; Savitri Jindal (65 years old) and family with assets worth Rs 15,680 crore; Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, 62 years old, th assets worth Rs 6143 crore.
- Women represent only 3% of this list
- 15% of all companies featured in this list belong to manufacturing sector, with Maharashtra as the hub of this sector
- Existing Ecommerce companies registered a growth of 48%; while new entrants showcased a growth of 126% in wealth generation
- 85% of all featured companies in this list are family run businesses
You can find the complete report: India’s Rich List 2015 here.