Indian Govt Approves Emergency Vaccination For Children Between 5-12 Years | Only These Vaccines Allowed
Newest reports have revealed that emergency vaccines will now be made available for children above the age of 5.
This has also been confirmed by the Minister of State for Railways & Textiles, Government of India, Darshana Jardosh.
Read on to find out all the details!
Emergency Vaccination For Children Between 5-12 Ages Approved
As per the Minister’s tweet, India’s Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation under Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has approved the emergency usage of vaccine for children.
Children between the ages of 6 and 12 will be given Covaxin, and children between the ages of 5 and 12 will be given Corbevax. Whereas, children above the age of 12 will be given 2 doses of ZyCov-D
We recently reported, just before the third wave, that children between the ages 15-18 will be inoculated.
Additionally, the Union government had announced that children in the age bracket of 12-14 years can start getting vaccinated from March 16, 2022.
The Indian government rolled out the nationwide vaccination for the Covid-19 pandemic in a phased manner, starting in 2021 with healthcare workers getting vaccinated in the first phase.
Detailed Timeline of India’s Covid-19 Vaccination Drive
The country’s vaccination drive against Covid-19 started last year in 2021.
- It was rolled out on January 16, 2021 for healthcare workers. This was the first phase of vaccination in India.
- The second phase started from February 2, 2021, for frontline workers, meaning those under the umbrella of essential services.
- Starting March 1, 2021, the third phase of vaccination began in the country, for senior citizens above 60 years of age, along with those aged 45 and above with underlying select comorbid conditions.
- For everyone aged 45 and above, the vaccination drive started from April 1, 2021, the fourth phase.
- The fifth phase started from May 1, 2021 for everyone above the age of 18 years, along with those aged 18.
- The next phase, phase 6 started from Jan 3, 2022, for those between 15-18 years of ages.
- Now, from March 16, 2022, the 7th phase of Covid-19 vaccination will start in the country.