Vaccination Starts For 15-18 Age Group In India: How To Register? Aadhaar Card Not Mandatory?
The next chapter in India’s vaccination drive has begun as children between the ages 15-18 can now be inoculated.
It appears that a third wave of the coronavirus is approaching and now is the best time to increase vaccination coverage.
Already over 8 lakh teens have registered on the government’s CoWin portal to receive a dose of Covaxin.
The drive is being carried out in consultation with schools at hospitals and health centres.
Schools and other educational institutions are functioning as vaccination centres as well.
Booster shots or an additional third dose will be given to health workers, frontline workers and vulnerable senior citizens above the age of 60 from January 10.
A booster shot would provide an extra layer of security from severe infection for adults who are already fully vaccinated.
New Vaccines To Come
Also having received govt clearance are two new vaccines — Corbevax and Covovax.
These may be used as booster doses and could be considered for the use in children as well.
No Choice Of Vaccine
States, Union Territories have been told to administer only Covaxin for the 15-18 years cohort.
Bharat Biotech’s Covaxin has been specially given approval for emergency use in the age group between 12 and 18 years.
Thereby, it is the only vaccine available for children.
People can register themselves on the Co-WIN portal or opt for walk-in registration.
Those born in 2007 or before will be eligible for vaccination under the 15 to 18 year category.
After they have received the shot, they will have to wait for 30 minutes during which they will be monitored for any adverse event following immunization (AEFI).
They can go for their second dose 28 days after the first one.
As for the precautionary dose, the beneficiary must have crossed nine months (39 weeks) since the administration of the second dose.
Beneficiaries will receive reminder messages from Co-WIN.
The dose will be reflected in the digital vaccination certificates.
How To Register
To register on the portal, children can book slots using their ID cards which need not be only Aadhaar.
They can use their class 10th ID card for registration as well, as an example
- Log on to the portal.
- Enter your mobile number
- Get an OTP to create your account
- Enter the OTP and click on the “Verify” button
- You’ll be taken to the registration page where you can choose one photo ID proof.
- Enter your name, age, gender and upload the ID proof
- Click on the “Register” button
- Once the registration is completed; the system will show the “Account Details”
- Select a vaccination centre by entering your pin code or searching district-wise in the drop-downs
- Date and availability will be displayed.
- Click on the ‘book’ button after selecting the slot of choice
- On successful completion of booking, you will receive an SMS containing confirmation details
You will have to show this SMS at the vaccination centre.
Don’t forget to carry the photo ID you have listed on Co-WIN.