These Blood Groups Are In High Risk Of Covid-19 Infection (Research Of High & Low Risk Blood Groups)
In a study conducted by a Delhi hospital, it was found that some blood groups are more prone to getting infected by the coronavirus than others, while no association/relation could be found between the blood group type and susceptibility to severity of disease and mortality.
‘At Risk’ Blood Groups
Find out if your blood group is more susceptible to the Covid-19, by reading the complete article.
According to a study conducted at the Sir Ganga Ram Hospital in Delhi, blood groups A, B and Rh+ were found to be more at risk to coronavirus than blood groups O, AB and and Rh-. The latter groups are at a significantly lower risk.
Results were collected from a total of 2,586 Covid-19 positive patients admitted in the hospital between April 8, 2020 to October 4, 2020, and the study was published in the November 21 issue of the ‘Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology’.
According to Dr. Rashmi Rana, Consultant, Department of Research, “Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 is a new virus, and it is unclear whether blood groups have any impact on Covid-19 risk or progression. Therefore, we investigated the association of ABO and Rh blood group with Covid-19 susceptibility, prognosis, recovery time, and mortality in this study.”
Findings of the Study
According to the research paper by the hospital,
- The frequencies of blood groups A, B, O and AB were 29.93%, 41.8%, 21.19% and 7.89% respectively.
- However, in a control group of 79,325, the frequencies of these blood groups were 21.86%, 38.49%, 29.37% and 10.28% respectively.
- Male patients having blood group B are more prone to Covid-19 than female patients of the same blood group.
- Patients of ages 60 years and more with AB blood group turned out to be more susceptible to the infection.
- The recovery period for blood groups A and Rh+ is lower.
- The recovery period for blood groups O and Rh- is higher.