14 Lakh Indians Cancelled DTH Subscriptions In 90 Days! Tata Sky Still #1 DTH In India
The total number of active DTH subscribers declined to 69.57 million at the end of March 2021 from 70.99 million at the end of December 2020, as per the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI).
DTH Subscriber Base Has Declined
The shares of the leading DTH service providers during the quarter ending 31st March 2021 in India are:
- Bharti Telemedia’s share stood at 25.17%.
- Dish TV’s market share has dropped to 24.09%
- Tata Sky market share dominated with a 33.3% share
- Sun Direct’s market share increased to 17.07%
TV Channels With Active Subscribers
As of March 31, 2021, the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (MIB) had approved 901 private satellite TV stations for either uplinking only, downlinking only or both uplinking and downlinking.
As of March 31, 2021, there are 327 satellite pay channels, with 235 SD (standard definition) satellite pay-TV channels and 92 HD (high definition) satellite pay-TV channels.
- Siti Networks led the cable TV market with 8.25 million active subscribers.
- GTPL Hathway with 7.74 million active subscribers.
- Hathway Digital and DEN Networks had 5.65 and 4.52 million subscribers.
- NXT Digital had 3.22 million active subscribers.
- Thamizhaga Cable TV Communication with 3.53 million subscribers.
- Kerala Communicators Cable Ltd with 3.05 million subscribers.
- Tamil Nadu Arasu Cable TV had 2.93 million subscriber
- Fastway Transmissions had 2.22 million subscriber
- KAL Cables had 2.02 million subscriber
- VK Digital had 1.76 million subscriber
- Asianet Digital Network had 1.22 million subscribers.
FM Radio Broadcaster
There are 366 operational private FM Radio channels in 105 cities with operational 30 Private FM Radio broadcasters as of now.
The reported advertisement revenue during the quarter ending 31st March 2021 in respect of 365 private FM Radio stations is Rs. 321.52 crores, as against Rs. 323.01 crore in respect of 366 private FM Radio stations for the previous quarter.