Indian Startup Creates Portable Washing Machine Costing Only Rs 1500 / $25
With a goal of placing a ‘washing machine in every household’ and with a vision of ‘When technology meets common man, World prospers’, a Mumbai based startup is aiming to offer fully functional, portable washing machines for only Rs 1500.
This is unique one-of-its-kind device to wash clothes has been named: Venus – The Mini Portable Washing Machine.
The startup has already shared their plans with crowd-sourcing platform IndieGoGo, and have pitched to raise $50,000 (Rs 30, 00,000) before December 12, 2014, which will enable them to mass-produce this exciting device, and fulfill their mission and vision.
At the time of writing, $1250 out of $50,000 has already been raised.
Piyush Agarwalla, founder of Vimbas Navrachna, the startup which has invented this idea said, “The simplicity of design will enable us to make this machine at a very low price – if mass manufactured. Making this device available in the market for an affordable price for the poor families in the third world will help millions of women who presently are forced to wash clothes by hand,”
How Will It Work?
This washing machine can be described as an electronic hand blender, which is small enough to be carried in a backpack and large enough to wash 4-5 clothes in a bucket, with strikingly good results. Every wash will take maximum 4 – 5 minutes, and it is being advised that the machine be used for 30 minutes in a day.
Here is a video which describes its functioning:
Why Should One Use It?
There are several situations wherein such portable, easy to use washing machine can come in handy, even if you have a bulky, mainstream washing machine in your home, such as:
- Washing those clothes which are used to mop floor or clean the kitchen, as washing them with your clothes can be a bad choice.
- Homes where there is an infant or small children, and you are required to wash their clothes separately
- Washing patient’s clothes to avoid infection/contamination
- Washing those clothes which can leak or shed colors
- Travelers and traveling sales men can keep this portable washing machine in their backpack, and use it in hotel or lodge.
- Those households which doesn’t have a budget to purchase a typical washing machine
- Students & bachelors will find this device useful as well
- Voltage: 110/230 V
- Power: 350 Watts
- Weight: 2.1 Kgs (Basic Unit)
- Capacity: 2.5 Kgs
- Dimensions: (LxWxH) 100x150x420 mm
- Wash Cycle: 3 to 5 mins (approx)
- Contents: Basic Unit, Bucket Clamps
The founders of this extremely economical and useful device have stated that once their project receives the required crowd-funding, they will also embed DC or Direct Current mechanism into it, which will help user to operate using batteries as well.
Check out the Founder Piyush Agarwalla’s thought process behind producing this device.
Besides, mass producing this device will help them bring down the cost and make it even more affordable to purchase and use.
What are your views on this invention? Will this portable washing machine be adapted en-masse by those who don’t wish to wash clothes by their hands and can’t afford expensive washing machines or this device is not practical to use, as clothes needs a tough and expensive machine to get washed? Do share your views by commenting right here!