Transparency International recently released the Global corruption barometer for 2009 – it reveals that our Indian Neta’s for whom we cast our all important votes are the MOST corrupt lot, even more than Police and law officials !
Here are some of the findings of the survey
- 58% of the respondents in India singled out politicians as the most corrupt individuals.
- 13% of the respondents rated government officials as the second most corrupt.
- 10% of the respondents felt that Parliament and other law making bodies are corrupt.
- 9% of the respondents felt that the private sector – which was included in the survey for the first time – are corrupt.
- Media and judiciary are corrupt in the view of 8% and 3% respondents respectively.
- 45% of people surveyed in India said the government is ineffective in addressing corruption.
I actually do not understand the last finding “45% of people surveyed in India said the government is ineffective in addressing corruption” .
Tell me, if the people who run the government are the most corrupt, then how in the hell can they do anything about corruption!!
Here is another interesting finding of the survey- Poorest families continue to be punished by petty bribe demands. Across the board, low-income people were more likely to be met with bribe demands than high-income ones.