How To Get QR Based Travel Pass For Mumbai Locals: Step By Step Process, Eligibility & More
Currently, the local trains and other local rail services in Mumbai are not serviceable to all. Only those in government jobs and the essential and emergency sectors are permitted to use the local train services in the city.
In order to keep a check on the issuance and usage of counterfeit train/metro tickets and passes, the Maharashtra government has come up with a universal solution.
The state government has recently announced to introduce a ‘universal travel pass’, which will come equipped with a QR code, to keep a check on travelers using fake passes.
New Travel Pass for Mumbai Travelers
The Railways and Maharashtra government are working jointly in creating a special pass which will be of a universal nature and work using a unique QR code.
This means Mumbaikars will need to issue only this one ‘Universal Travel Pass’, which will help them travel in suburban local trains, Mumbai Metro, and monorail.
Currently due to the ongoing pandemic restrictions instituted in the city, local train services are only open to some sectors of employment.
Consequently, this new QR-code based travel pass will be issued only to emergency workers and government employees, as travel services are restricted to everyone else.
By issuing such a travel pass, which will work on a QR-code, the civic authorities can keep a closer check on travel services used by the ones who are not yet authorised to do so by the Maharashtra government, which will in turn keep a crowd control.
How to Register for the Universal Travel Pass?
For the people eligible to travel in local trains during the existing restrictions, here are the steps to apply for such a travel pass.
- On the state website of Disaster Management and Relief Fund Rehabilitation, you will find a call to action for the ‘Universal Travel Pass’ or,
- Simply click on this link: Universal Travel Pass
- Click on ‘Register your Establishment’ and fill in all the applicable details popped on the screen.
- Once you are done agreeing to all the conditions and submitting the form, your application will be reviewed personally by the authorities.
- Once your application is approved, you will be able to log into the platform and enter the required details.
- Once you enter all the details, like name, ID, phone number, etc. and the information is registered, you will get an SMS on the registered mobile number.
- You can then log in using this registered mobile number.
- Upload the photograph and download the travel pass.