Govt Will Remove All Toll Plazas, FASTags Will End: 100% Toll Collection Via GPS Tracking Now
All the toll booths in our country will be discarded and replaced with purely GPS-based systems.
The central government has now confirmed this as well
How will the GPS based toll booth work? Read on to find out!
Central Government To Launch GPS-based Toll Collection System
The Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari confirmed in Lok Sabha that the central government is planning to launch a completely GPS-based toll collection system, that too, within a year.
When this system is implemented, all the toll booths in the country will be discarded.
As per Gadkari, “I want to assure the House that within one year all physical toll booths in the country will be removed. It means that toll collection will happen via GPS. The money will be collected based on GPS imaging (on vehicles).”
He also stated that 93 per cent of the vehicles are paying the toll with the FASTag, however, the remaining 7 per cent haven’t yet started using FASTags.
Recently, we reported a statement issued by NHAI authorities that clarifies that all tolls from midnight of January 15- 16 have successfully transitioned to 100% cashless.
The statement said that the roll-out of 100% cashless tolling has been positively received by the highway users with a record sale of over 2.5 lakhs tags for the last two consecutive days. The collection on tolls through FASTags has crossed the highest mark of Rs. 95 Cr with 60 lakh transactions on 17th February 2021.
Police Inquiry Instructed For Cars That Don’t Have A FASTag
Recently, the National Highway Authority of India waived the electronic payment charges of Rs 100 at toll plazas via FASTags at 770 toll plazas on National and State highways across the country until March 1, to encourage more commuters to shift to FASTag.
This move led to a daily toll collection of Rs 95 crores with almost 60 lakh transactions on February 17, just one day after the compulsory implementation of FASTags.
Gadkari has also stated that policy inquiry has been instructed for any vehicles that are not using FASTag. He also clarified that new vehicles come with FASTags fitted in them.
We also know that the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) had notified all four-wheelers on Indian roads to compulsorily have FASTags, effective January 1st, 2021.