Lenovo Launches World’s 1st 5G Laptop Powered With Snapdragon; Mediatek’s Helio M70 Is 5G Powered
US based chip maker Qualcomm and Chinese computer maker Lenovo have teamed up to unveil the first ever 5G laptop, powered by the new 7nm Snapdragon 8cx processor.
Qualcomm and Lenovo made the announcement at the Computex event held in Taipei, Taiwan.
Lenovo’s new 5G PC code named as “Project Limitless” would be the “the world’s first 7nm platform purpose-built for PCs that offers 5G connectivity”.
Specifications Of World’s 1st 5G Laptop
Qualcomm 7nm Snapdragon 8cx Compute Platform consists of a Adreno 680 GPU, a Hexagon 690 DSP, a Kyro 495 CPU. The platform uses the Snapdragon X55 5G modem, which has a download speed of 2.5 Gbps.
Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 8cx Compute Platform supports both 5G as well as 4G connections and a promising battery life that can last for several days per charge as claimed by Qualcomm.
The pricing,availability and specification details haven’t been revealed yet but Lenovo says that the Project Limitless will arrive in market in early 2020.
Other details revealed by Lenovo says that new 5G laptops will be available upto 16 GB of RAM and upto 1TB of SSD storage.
What’s Waiting In Store For Us
According to Johnson Jia,Lenovo’s Sr VP and GM of consumer of Business of Intelligent Device Group – The new 5G in PC will try to satisfy the user’s need for speed, faster file transfers and streaming in 4K,8K and even in VR/AR.
MediaTek Announced The Most Powerful 5G Soc Till Date.
In order to ensure that the wave of the 5G touches even the low cost handset, MediatTek has officially introduced its latest chipset Helio M70 that has 5G capabilities and is built on the 7nm process.
It also happens to be the first platform to include ARM’s Cortex- A77 CPU and Mali- G77 GPU.
This most powerful 5G SoC announcement was made at the Computex Event held at Taipei, Taiwan.The new chipset will hit the market by the early 2020.Its been awhile since MediaTek made any of high end SoC, as it has vacated it after faced a strong competition by it from Qualcomm.
Interesting Facts About the Helio M70
- The 5G modem integrated with it allows smartphones with the chipset to use the 5G standalone and non-standalone sub-6GHz networks
- According to the current press release it is said that the Helio M70 will reach a peak throughput of 4.7 Gbps download speed (on the sub-6CHz network)
- It will also support 4K video encoding and decoding at 60fps and can work with smartphone camera sensor of up to 80MP resolution.
- It supports connectivity from 2G to 4G so as to bridge the existing network access while 5G rolls out globally.
- The 5G chipsets will be integrated with previously announced Helio M70 to give device a comprehensive solution for 5G .
- It features 4.7 Gbps download speed and 2.5 Gbps upload speed.