Google Beats Apple To Become World’s Most Valuable Brand. Is Apple On The Wane Now?
Google has overtaken Apple to become world’s most valuable brand, as per a research conducted by Marketing firm Millward Brown. The study named “BrandZ Top 100 Most Valuable Global Brands” found that Google’s brand value has shot 40% in the last one year to $158.84 billion, overtaking last year’s winner Apple.
For the last three years, Apple had topped this chart, but in the last 12 months, its brand value fell by 20% to $147.88 billion.
IBM was placed at 3rd position with total brand value to the tune of $107.54 billion (which has decreased 4% compared to last year), whereas Microsoft was ranked #4 with $90.19 billion brand value which is an increase of 29% compared to last year.
Interestingly, world’s top 4 brands, all belong to the technology niche, followed by other niches such as fast food (McDonald at $85.71 billion), soft drinks (Coca Cola at $80368 billion), credit cards (Visa at $79.19 billion) and telecom (AT&T at $77.88 billion). The last two spots are held by Marlboro with $67.34 billion and Amazon at $64.25 billion brand value.
This ranking yet again demonstrates that the technology companies are actually dominating the corporate and business world more than any other niche. What’s more, tech domain is dominating the new dictionary word additions as well!
The study found out that Google is much more than a search engine, as it has transformed itself into a technology company which is impacting the lives of all those who use it’s products on a daily basis. The boost in it’s ranking for this year came with the introduction of Google Glass, which has generated quite a lot of buzz all over the technological world.
Benoit Tranzer, the head of Millward Brown France said, “Google has been extremely innovative this year with Google Glass, investments in artificial intelligence and a range of partnerships. All these activities send a very strong signal to consumers about the essence of Google,”
Interesting Research Highlights
- World’s top 100 most valuable brands have combined worth of $2.9 trillion, which is an increase of 12% compared to last year.
- Since 2006, this combined value of top 100 brands have almost doubled
- Apparel brands witnessed maximum appraisal in their brand value at 29% year on year
- Tencent, a Chinese social network and Internet portal increased it’s brand value by whooping 97%, thereby overtaking Chinese Mobile as China’s most valuable brand
- Facebook increased it’s brand value by more than 68% whereas Yahoo’s brand value also increased to 44%
- Amazon is the first retailer to enter the top 10 position
- LinkedIn and Twitter debuted with #71 and #78 respectively
- One fifth of top 100 global brands are from technology niche, and the combined brand value of these 18 technology companies is $827 billion
- North America has the maximum number of top 100 brands, with 50% of the companies in the top 100 list originating from USA. All the companies in top 10 list are from USA as well
You can get the complete ranking of the top global brands right here. And more interesting insights and data in this infographic.
[…] Google has overtaken Apple to become world’s most valuable brand, as per a research conducted by Marketing firm Millward Brown. The study named “BrandZ Top 100 Most Valuable Global Brands” found that Google’s brand value has shot 40% in the last one year to $158.84 billion, overtaking last year’s winner Apple. […]