Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) website has added a new feature that aims at easing the issues faced by ticket buyers on the site.
IRCTC e-wallet is similar to other wallet services available with other websites – the basic premise remains the same where user first deposits an amount with IRCTC through Credit/Debit, netbanking or other means available on the site. Once, the user account has e-wallet deposit, tickets can be purchased online using the balance in the account.
Given the woes faced by ticket buyers on IRCTC site, this may prove to be very useful, as the users will not have failed transactions, which were primarily caused during the payment authorization process. Infact, during peak hours many times users faced the issue where the money was debited from their bank account but the ticket never got book. And then there is a perennial problem of session getting expired, due to which the user had to start the entire process of booking the ticket all over again.
Booking through e-wallet promises eliminate all those issues, as the payment authorization will take place on IRCTC servers itself, making the process much faster and easier for the users. In addition to this, users can deposit upto Rs. 5000 at one go into e-wallet, so frequent users will be able to make multiple bookings without having to go through existing tedious payment authorization process.
How to create and use e-wallet account
- Once user logs into IRCTC website, they will be given a link to register for e-wallet scheme.
- User then registers along with their PAN Card number and creates a transaction password.
- The user will then get an email of successful e-wallet registration and instructions for money deposit.
- To deposit the amount in the eWallet account user will need to click to ‘eWallet DEPOSIT’ link on the left navigation bar. The user will need to then fill the amount to be deposited and reconfirm the same account. The amount has to be between Rs. 100 to Rs. 5000.
- Once the amount is deposited, user will get an option called “e-wallet” during the ticket booking process, using which they can book the tickets.
- User will need to provide their transaction password everytime payment has to be made through e-wallet.
- For every e-Wallet transaction an additional eWallet Transaction charge of Rs 5/- will be collected and booking will be allowed only when ticket amount is less than the balance amount.
See the entire IRCTC eWallet booking process here.
In my view, it is a great new addition to IRCTC website and should surely ease the ticket booking process.
Give it a try, and let us know what you think of this new IRCTC eWallet feature!