All Indians Above 60 Will Get Covid Booster From This Date; Vaccination For 12-14 Yrs Kids Also Starts
The Union government has announced that children in the age bracket of 12-14 years can start getting vaccinated from March 16, 2022.
Additionally, senior citizens of ages above 60 years with co-morbidity clauses can start getting administered with precaution doses, starting March 16, stated the Union Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya on Monday.
Details regarding the same can be found below.
Children From 12-14 Years Can Now Get Vaccinated
The Indian government rolled out the nationwide vaccination for the Covid-19 pandemic in a phased manner, starting in 2021 with healthcare workers getting vaccinated in the first phase.
Starting Mar 16, children aged between 14-15 years will be able to get vaccinated, in addition to those aged above 60 years with co-morbidity clauses will be able to get administered with precaution doses.
The children in the aforementioned age bracket will be administered the Corbevax Covid-19 vaccine, manufactured by the Hyderabad-based Biological Evans.
In a tweet on Monday, Mandaviya said, “If the children are safe then the country is safe! I am happy to inform that the COVID vaccination of children in the age group of 12 to 13 and 13 to 14 is starting from March 16. Also, everyone aged 60+ will now be able to get precaution doses.”
The minister urged the families of such children and senior citizens to get fully vaccinated.
Detailed Timeline of India’s Covid-19 Vaccination Drive
The country’s vaccination drive against Covid-19 started last year in 2021.
- It was rolled out on January 16, 2021 for healthcare workers. This was the first phase of vaccination in India.
- The second phase started from February 2, 2021, for frontline workers, meaning those under the umbrella of essential services.
- Starting March 1, 2021, the third phase of vaccination began in the country, for senior citizens above 60 years of age, along with those aged 45 and above with underlying select comorbid conditions.
- For everyone aged 45 and above, the vaccination drive started from April 1, 2021, the fourth phase.
- The fifth phase started from May 1, 2021 for everyone above the age of 18 years, along with those aged 18.
- The next phase, phase 6 started from Jan 3, 2022, for those between 15-18 years of ages.
- Now, from March 16, 2022, the 7th phase of Covid-19 vaccination will start in the country.