Indians #1 Globally In Spending Time On Mobile; Short Video Consumption Rise By 4-Times

According to a report released by Nokia on Thursday, India has average time spent by Indians on smartphones is the highest in the world. Also, the duration of watching the short videos is likely to rise fourfold by 2025.

The report published by Mobile Broadband India Traffic Index revealed that after Finland, India comes second in the world when it comes to broadband usage on mobile phones. Also over the last five years, India has seen the increase in data traffic over 60 times, which is the highest in the world.

Huge Growth In Data Consumption

Chief marketing officer of Nokia, Amit Marwah said that India has witnessed huge growth, around 63 times in the last five years and it the growth in incomparable to any market, region or nation.

On mobile networks, in 2020 10000 PB of data was consumed which is huge when compared to 164 PB of data that was consumed in 2015, just five years ago.

Over the last five years, average consumption of data per user per month increased by almost a CAGR of 76 % and is 13.5 GB(Combined on 3G & 4G). An average of 13.7 GB per user per month is consumed on the 4G network.

Average consumption has been increased by 4 times in last year, with an average person consuming 5 hours per day. He added the consumption shall increase by fourfold as far as consuming content is concerned.

Short Video Consumption Rise By 4-Times

Spearheading the consumption is short videos, one available on channels like YouTube, social media and other OTT apps, which is almost 55 %, whereas fintech, e-commerce and other kinds of browsing activities make up the remaining 45 %.

Behind the popularity of short videos are reasons like decreasing attention spans of millennials, enablement of short videos, penetration of high-end devices. Also due to lockdown restrictions, the need for broadband which is home fixed increased tremendously.

Fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) and fixed wireless are going to see huge growth in years to come. In December 2014, there were 690 thousand homes that were connected with FTTH which grew over 5-fold to 4 million in December 2020, the report said.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.

who's online