PM Modi Declares India Will Defeat Coronavirus; 5 Things Every Indian Should Do (Junta Curfew, Social Distancing & More)
On Thursday (March 19th, 2020), PM Modi addressed the nation in the wake of an unprecedented outbreak of coronavirus, globally.
As more than 200 positive cases have been confirmed in India, the threat of community-based infections is looming ahead.
In the 30 minutes speech, PM Modi asked every Indian to observe a ‘Janta Curfew’ on Sunday, between 7AM to 9PM.
He said, “There is a need to follow two important things to fight this pandemic — resolve and restraint,”
Here are 5 important things which every Indian should do, as per PM Modi:
- Social Distancing: PM Modi laid emphasis on the fact that social distancing is the key to stop the spread of the virus, across India. He appealed to every Indian that unless they have any important work, stay at home, and work from home. PM Modi asking every Indian to distance themselves socially was a crucial step, as now, every Indian is aware of the problem, and a feasible solution.
- Janta Curfew On Sunday: Between 7AM and 9PM, PM Modi appealed for ‘Janta Curfew’, which will be a curfew by the people, for the people. It wont be enforced as of now, but it should be voluntary. Some analysts are saying that this can be a drill for everyone, since a lockdown of cities can be made in near future. By this ‘practice’ curfew, everyone will be mentally prepared.
- Don’t Hoard Products, Food: PM Modi also made a very crucial appeal to everyone: Don’t hoard food products and other essential items. He said that essential items like food, gas, petrol, medicines etc would be always available, and there is no need to panic.
- Be Compassionate, Don’t Stop Salaries: PM Modi asked all businesses and enterprises to be compassionate towards the poor, and in case they are not able to come to office due to social distancing, their pay shouldn’t be cut. This is again a very important request, since a lot of poor and daily wage laborers will be out of job.
- Dont Visit Hospitals Unnecessarily: PM Modi asked one and all, to avoid visiting hospitals unless its an emergency. All elective surgeries have been canceled, to avoid unnecessary burden on the healthcare.
In terms of measures, only one major decision was announced:
- Economic Task Force To Battle Coronavirus: Under the aegis of Finance Ministry, Govt has set up a task force called Covid-19 Economic Response Taskforce, which will decide the economic measures to fight coronavirus. He said, This taskforce will take decisions in the near future, based on regular interactions and feedback from all stakeholders, and analysis of all situations and dimensions. This taskforce will also ensure that all steps taken to reduce the economic difficulties are effectively implemented.”
PM Modi appealed everyone, not to panic, not to spread false information. He paid gratitude to those who are risking their lives and providing us healthcare service, deliveries, police protection and more.
He assured every Indian, that we will successfully fight coronavirus, and emerge victorious.
Here is the full speech.
PM @narendramodi asks citizens to follow #JantaCurfew from 7am to 9pm on 22nd March i.e. coming Sunday.— PIB India (@PIB_India) March 19, 2020
This will prepare us for future circumstances. I urge all state governments to help comply with this #jantacurfew#IndiaFightsCorona pic.twitter.com/Nd4hmdwG4O