These 23 Indian Universities Are Fake; This Is How You Can Check Fake Universities/Colleges in India
The University Grants Commission has pinpointed 23 Universities across the nation as fake, and has published a complete list on its official website.
These are self-styled and unrecognized institutions, functioning in contravention of the UGC Act.
Amidst the news of shutting down of 75 technical and engineering colleges in India, this academic year onwards, we’ve been flooded with this startling piece of information that the University Grants Commission (UGC) has shared on Tuesday.
List Of Fake Universities In India
Here is a complete list, arranged as per state, of all the fake universities in India:
- Varanaseya Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya, Varanasi (UP)/Jagatpuri
- Mahila Gram Vidyapith/Vishwavidyalaya, (Women’s) University, Prayagraj, (UP)
- Gandhi Hindi Vidyapith, Prayagraj, Uttar Pradesh
- National University of Electro Complex Homeopathy, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose University (Open University), Achaltal, Aligarh, (UP)
- Uttar Pradesh Vishwavidyalaya, Koshi Kalan, Mathura (UP)
- Maharana Partap Shiksha Niketan Vishwavidyalaya, Pratapgarh (UP)
- Indraprastha Shiksha Parishad, Institutional Area, Kohoda, Makanpur, Noida Phase-II, (UP)
- Commercial University Ltd, Daryaganj, Delhi
- United Nations University, Delhi
- Vocational University, Delhi
- ADR-Centric Juridical University, ADR House, 8J, Gopala Tower, 25 Rajendra Place, New Delhi-110008
- Indian Institution of Science and Engineering, New Delhi.
- Viswakarma Open University for Self-employment, India Rozgar Sewasadan, 672, Sanjay Enclave, Opp. GTK DEPOT, New Delhi-110033
- Adhyatmik Vishwavidyalaya (Sprirtual University), 351-352, Phase-1, Block-A, Vijay Vihar, Rithala, Rohini, Delhi-110085
- Indian Institute of Alternative Medicine, 80, Chowringhee Road, Kolkata-20
- Institute of Alternative Medicine and Research, 8-A, Diamond Harbor Road Builtech inn 2nd Floor, Kurpukur, Kolkata-700063
- Nababharat Shiksha Parishad, Anupooma Bhawan, Plot No. 242, Pani Tanki Road, Shaktinagar, Rourkela-769014
- North Orissa University of Agriculture & Technology, University Road Baripada, Distt. Mayurbhanj, Odisha-757003
- Maithili University/Vishwavidyalaya, Darbhanga
- Badaganvi Sarkar World Open University Education Society, Gokak, Belgaum (Karnataka)
- St John’s University, Kishanattam, Kerala
- Raja Arabic University, Nagpur
- Sree Bodhi Academy of Higher Education, No. 186, Thilaspet, Vazhuthavoor Road, Puducherry-605009
How To Check If A University Is Fake?
It is not very difficult for the common student to know if a university is fake or genuine, which is why we have come up with a few tips you can follow and save yourself from falling prey to any scams:
UGC’s Rules For An Institution To Be Called a University
According to the UGC Act 1956, a degree can be provided to a student, only by:
- a University established under a Central, State/Provincial Act, or
- an institution deemed to be university under Section 3 of the UGC Act, or
- an institution specially empowered by an Act of Parliament to confer the degree.
Any institution not abiding any of these three provisions, cannot use the word ‘University’ in their name.
UGC’s Website: The Litmus Test
You should know that there are four types of universities overall: Central Universities, which are also called as Union Universities, Deemed Universities, Private Universities. The last category is inclusive of the universities that are called autonomous bodies, which are under the control of the Department of Higher Education. Institutes like IITs, IIMs, IIITs, NLU are part of this last category.
There is an extensive list of all the genuine universities in India on the official website of UGC (https://www.ugc.ac.in/) under all the four categories of universities. Verify that the university that you plan to get admitted is present in the list.
Check for the NAAC Grade
The National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) is a body that is set up by the UGC to check the quality of education, infrastructure and everything in between and grade them as per their assessment.
Check for which grade has been assigned to the college or university that you are planning to get into, the highest grade awarded being A.
Vigilance is extremely important here. Make sure you enquire about the college with people who are not associated with the institute itself. Verify the institute’s reviews on the internet, check for online student boards. If you are applying to a college that claims to be affiliated with a University, contact the University directly, and check if the college is truly affiliated to the University.
Keep an eye out as time and money are both at stake here! Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below!