Women Can Travel For Free In Delhi Metro, DTC Buses: 5 Things You Should Know
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has stunned the nation, by announcing a never-before-heard scheme for women.
Every women can now travel for free in Delhi Metro, and buses run by Delhi Transport Corporation or DTC.
Here are 5 things you should know:
- Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal has only made this announcement, and this hasn’t yet become a rule. Central Govt. headed by PM Modi will need to approve this decision, which will be based on Cabinet decision. The reason is that, Delhi Metro is partly run by Central Govt. too. However, during the announcement, CM Kejriwal emphasized on the fact that Dehi Govt. doesn’t need Centre’s permission, and Delhi Govt. can bear the expenses for running this scheme. More details are awaited on this.
- Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal has justified this decision citing ‘security’ for women. During the announcement, he said, “Right now our concern is the safety of women.”
- Total of Rs 700 crore will be spent, if the Cabinet approves this decision by Delhi CM, and if women start traveling for free in Delhi Metro and Delhi Transport Corporation or DTC buses. CM Kejriwal also made it clear that if women want to pay for the ticket and avoid availing this subsidy, they are free to do so.
- An unnamed Transport Department officer has been quoted as saying that this free travel for women in DTC buses can be implemented without any issues, but executing the same for Delhi Metro can be ‘challenging’. More details are awaited on this. Delhi Transport Minister Kailash Gahlot has already held meetings with officers, discussing the possibilities.
- Other political parties have blamed AAP-led Delhi Govt. of misusing their power for voters’ appeasement. Elections in Delhi for Vidhan Sabha are due next year, and as per some political pundits, CM Arvind Kejriwal is looking to please the voters via this free travel offer for women. Manoj Tiwari, Delhi BJP chief said, “Now such announcements will keep coming from the ghoshna mantri (announcement chief minister). Arvind Kejriwal has lost his mental balance,”
Delhi’s per capita income is Rs 3,65,529, which is three-times of National average. This means that Delhi Metro users are fairly well-off, and they use the service without burning much hole into their pocket.
Under these circumstances, the announcement of free travel for women by Delhi CM doesn’t make much sense, atleast not for Delhi Metro.
Do let us know about your opinions and views by commenting right here!