Unstoppable Tragedies Due To Electric Scooter: 80-Year Man Dies After E-Scooter Battery Explodes Inside Home
Telangana police said that in Telangana’s Nizamabad district Wednesday the battery of the electric scooter exploded while being charged at their home due to which an 80-year-old man died and four others in his family sustained burn injuries.
The police said that the deceased was identified as B Ramaswamy. His son B Prakash, a tailor, had been using the EV scooter for one year.
A case was registered under Indian Penal Code (IPC) section 304A (causing death due to negligence) against Hyderabad-based startup Pure EV that had manufactured the scooter and the dealer said A Venkateswarlu, assistant commissioner of police, Nizamabad.
According to the police, Prakash removed the battery from the scooter and kept it for charging around 12.30 am. His father Ramaswamy, mother Kamalamma, and son Kalyan were sleeping in the living room when the battery allegedly exploded around 4 am injuring them. Prakash and his wife Krishnaveni also suffered minor injuries while fighting the flames, said sub-inspector Sai Nath of Three Town police station in a statement.
The police said that as the injured were undergoing treatment at a private hospital, Ramaswamy’s condition worsened and he succumbed to injuries while being shifted to Hyderabad for better treatment.
Pure EV Expresses Regret but Claims No Customer Record in Database
Meanwhile, Pure EV expressed regret over the incident and issued a statement Thursday noting that it was fully cooperating with the local investigating agencies. It said it had instructed its dealer to get complete details about the incident from the complainant.
Pure EV said that “From our customer database we do not have any record of sale done or service availed by the quoted user in the media. Our dealer is exploring whether the vehicle was purchased through second-hand sale from any of our first buyers”.
“Pure EV takes safety of its customers and vehicles very seriously with constant dissemination about availing scheduled free services and through information campaigns for best practices related to vehicle safety” said the company while offering to provide necessary assistance to the users of its electric scooters, it further.