Old Android Phones Will Not Support These Websites: Here’s How To Fix It

Over 70 percent of the Android phones will not support multiple websites from early 2021. The older Android phones, upto version 7.1 will stop supporting multiple websites and browsing in 2021. Android users running 7.1.1 Nougat or older will no longer be able to access any of the secure websites.

Old Android Phones Will Not Support These Websites: Here’s How To Fix It 

In case you are using an old Android phone, embrace yourself for hard times ahead.

So, older Android devices running on 7.1.1 Nougat or older versions will no longer be able to access any of the secured websites from their devices. If you try to open a secured website in 2021, you will be receiving a certificate error. So only unsecured websites can be accessed.

Secured websites will not run on older Android devices due to outdated operating systems and not being compatible with the current security restrictions. The websites will fail to load due to missing certifications not installed on old Android devices.

Let’s Encrypt confirmed that it will be ending its partnership with certification authority IdenTrust in 2021. They are not renewing it, and Let’s Encrypt offers certifications to around 30 percent of all the web domains available.

The issue is that a few softwares have not been updated since 2016 and the root certificate is being held responsible for not being exactly safe. And the ISRG Root X1 is included in all the versions of Android prior to 7.1.1, so older versions of Android can’t access secured websites with trust certificates issued by Let’s Encrypt.

Around 65 percent of Android phones run on version 7.1 or above. The rest 35 percent are the old Android users. They will soon start getting certification errors on secured websites or the websites who have their security certification from Let’s Encrypt.

Your only way not out is here to use Firefox if you want to access these websites on old Android phones. Firefox comes with its own list of trusted root certificates. So if you will use a Firefox browser to access any of these websites with an older generation Android phone, the up-to-date trusted certificates will use it to establish a secure connection.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.

who's online