Sleeper Coaches Changed Into Economy AC Coaches: 12 Interesting Facts You Should Know
The good news for sleeper travelers, it’s their turn to enjoy the luxury bestowed by national transporter, Indian Railways.
As the new line of economy AC coaches is being prepared to replace the ordinary sleeper class for the upcoming trains which are designed to run at 130kmph.
New Line Of Coaches
As per the reports, a new prototype of the 3-tier “economy AC class” coach is being prepared at the Rail Coach Factory (RCF) in Kapurthala currently.
“This will be a first-of-its-kind coach – an economy AC coach with luxury features of the upper class,” said Ravinder Gupta, the GM of RCF to TOI.
According to Mr. Gupta, the prototype will be ready by early next year, “subject to approvals from the Railway Board.”
Currently, interior designers are working on the interior design of the coaches.
Before having that experience, let’s go through the interesting facts about this new development of the Railway industry.
12 Interesting Facts You Should Know
- In addition to that, they plan to provide an AC vent for each berth.
- In case you like to read while traveling then you can enjoy the reading light too.
- On the other hand, if you like to watch movies or even indulge in social media, then no need to worry since every berth will have its own charging point for nightlong chats without being worried about draining the batteries.
- The coach will have 83 berths, as against 72 in the current AC-3 and sleeper class coaches.
- Despite the increase in quantity, they will not feel cramped like the Garib Rath coaches rolled out in 2005.
- The new economy AC coach will be inspired by the German LHB (Linke-Hofmann-Busch) platform that Indian Railways use now.
- For the first time for mainline coaches of Indian Railways, the electrical controls have been slung under the carriage for creating the extra space for 11 extra berths.
- These changes would be an upgrade from the non-AC sleeper class, that too without a significant reduction in space per passenger.
- The new smart design helps to create a feeling of roominess. They took inspiration from aircraft and car designs, will have personalized niches to create a de-cluttered feel.
- Considering the hygiene measures, the coaches will have foot-operated water taps and soap dispensers in the toilet, forearm door handles, etc, to reduce touching of common surfaces.
- Additionally, the coaches will have better insulation to avoid heat loss and improved suspension for the additional load of passengers.
- The new coaches would be disabled-friendly with wider doors for easy wheelchair access to berths at the end and one disabled-friendly toilet per coach.