Class 10, 12 Syllabus Can Reduce By 50%; CBSE, ICSE Board Exams Can Delay By 60 Days

Class 10, 12 Syllabus Can Reduce By 50%; CBSE, ICSE Board Exams Can Delay By 60 Days

Class 10, 12 Syllabus Can Reduce By 50%; CBSE, ICSE Board Exams Can Delay By 60 Days

The national boards of education, Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), and Council for Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE) are pondering over further reducing Class 10 and 12 syllabi. 

Read on to know more…

Class 10 and Class 12 Syllabus Reduced To 50%?

The COVID-19 pandemic resultant lockdown had led to the shutdown of all educational institutes since March. 

Though the school’s doors are shut, students are being taught via online classes wherever possible. However, it is not quite possible in rural areas with electricity, infrastructure, and network connectivity issues. 

Despite giving a go-ahead to re-open schools from October 15 under Unlock 5.0, attendance is poor. To add to the worries of boards, some states have decided not to open schools yet. 

With speculations that schools won’t re-open soon, in July, the CBSE, CISCE, and other state boards had already reduced the syllabus by 25 to 30%. 

Now the boards are considering further reducing the syllabus to 50%.

 A senior CBSE official told TOI, “Post 30% reduction in July, there has been no normal classes and if the situation continues like this, there is likelihood of further reduction of the syllabus for the Board exams. The Board will take a call soon whether the exams are to be conducted based on 70% or 50% of the syllabus.”

“Given the present scenario, there is a possibility of further reduction of the syllabus. Though, one cannot say right now to what extent it could be slashed for the 2021 exams,” said, Gerry Arathoon, chief executive, CISCE. 

2020-2021 Board Examinations Delayed?

The CBSE board is considering delaying the exam to April, 2021.

In this way, if schools re-open, some physical classes can be conducted before the exams.

The official further said, “The standards for online classes vary from school to school or from urban to semi-urban and rural areas and therefore we are expecting some physical classes to happen before the exams. We will have to wait for it to happen and review the situation. Therefore, in all likelihood the Board exams may have to be shifted to April or beyond to accommodate classroom teaching and completion of the syllabus. Schools are also asking us to defer the dates as well as reduce the syllabus by 50%.”

Now What?

The academic year 2020-2021 is looking grim as the country is coping up with the ongoing pandemic.  

After the Govt gives some direction, both the above decisions will be taken concerning the academic year.

The final decision will be taken by CBSE and CISCE regarding the reduction of syllabus or shifting board examinations after assessing the situation.

Experts are of the opinion that reducing the syllabus would be more acceptable than delaying the board exams.

We will keep you updated as the final decision will be made by the Education Ministry!

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.

who's online