IIT Kharagpur Is #1 In India For Impact Research As Per UN Goals; Anna University, IIT Madras Features In Top Ranking
The Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur has been ranked 57th globally in the Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Rankings 2020.
The institute has been ranked for its impact research in the areas that will help achieve sustainable development goals as asked for by the United Nations.
Is IIT Kharagpur the only Indian Institute to be placed in this ranking? Find out all the details right here!
IIT Kharagpur Ranked 57th In Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Rankings 2020
Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur is the only Indian Institute to be ranked in the top 100 list of institutes in the ranking released by THE.
The report states, “The rankings provide a measure of the extent to which universities are having a positive social and economic impact on the planet; from climate action and gender equality, to good health and wellbeing.”
It is also ranked in the top 50 institutes in the world for its progress in five of the 17 sustainability goals, such as clean water and sanitation, climate action, affordable and clean energy, zero hunger, and no poverty.
As per reports, the performance of IIT Kharagpur has been fantastic in the individual SDGs rankings achieving fourth place in the world for SDG6 (Clean Water and Sanitation)…13th for SDG13 (Climate Action), joint 21st for SDG1 (No Poverty) and 24th for SDG7 (Affordable and Clean Energy).
Whereas, the other IITs of India, such as Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras, Roorkee, and Guwahati refused to be a part of THE World University Rankings, showing distrust in the parameters and transparency in the process.
Globally, Australian universities have emerged on top of the list, the first four being the University of Sydney, Western Sydney University, and La Trobe University.
Top 10 Indian Universities Included In THE Rankings
Here are the top ten Indian universities that found a place in the rankings by THE:
- Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
- Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science
- JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research – Gender Equality
- Pondicherry University – Gender Equality
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham – Quality of education
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras – innovation, infrastructure and, clean water and sanitation
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) – Gender Equality
- Yenepoya University – Quality of education
- Acharya Nagarjuna University – Quality of education