Hotstar’s Stunning 2019 Numbers: 100 Million Views In 24 Hours; 555 App Installs Per Minute; 40% Men Watch Family Dramas!
Everyone today is driven by series and this idea of binge-watching. More and more people are enrolling themselves on at least one of the Over-the-Content (OTT) platforms, every day. The trends of what people like and how they choose to witness that is changing swiftly. Companies which are able to understand this and change according to the consumers’ needs are flourishing.
India is home to so many such online content admirers; the market is highly competitive with its foot held by several OTT platforms like it Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hotstar, MX Player and more. Among all of these platforms though, Hotstar has emerged to be India’s largest premium streaming platform.
It has not only embarked a spectacular mark on the Indian viewers but also has released a comprehensive study of online video consumption behaviour and trends, called India Watch Report 2019. This is the third edition of its kind and enlists insights on how evolving content preferences, progressive gender shifts and increasing accessibility continue to shape the modern Indian digital consumer.
Hotstar: ‘India Watch Report 2019’
We have covered multiple stories concerning OTT platforms and their strong competition in maintaining the top-most position in a market like India. Attributing major part of its success to sports, Hotstar has been ranked the most downloaded and most used OTT entertainment app in India.
Thanks to such dynamic IPL and now the Cricket World Cup series’ followers in India, Hotstar secured 49% share in the OTT entertainment app segment in terms of smartphone installations. These are some information we had provided you with prior.
Homegrown Indian streaming platform Hotstar has set an all new benchmark for online viewership. Speaking more about this survey report that it has just released, Hotstar believes that the accelerated growth of Indian video entertainment ecosystem has had an unprecedented impact on the consumer.
The content has crossed the bars of metro cities and isn’t limited by gender or language. This growing accessibility has opened doors to new thoughts and ideas that are shaping a stereotype-defying consumer.
With a comprehensive look at how video streaming is evolving and the fascinating behavioral and entertainment consumption insights behind it, Hotstar is pretty sure that the India Watch Report 2019 will make for a very interesting read.
Hotstar Crosses 400+ Million Downloads
Hotstar is one of the most downloaded apps in India, registering 2 times more number of installs and 3 times growth in consumption this year, as compared to 2018. 2019, men showed as high affinity to family drama as women with more than 40% of family drama viewers being men, breaking the long-held belief that such genres don’t appeal to men.
At the same time, 2019, men showed as high affinity to family drama as women with more than 40% of family drama viewers being men, breaking the long-held belief that such genres don’t appeal to men. Consumers today want a voice of their own, along with an opportunity to interact with others and express themselves. Consequently, online viewing is transitioning from a passive experience into an immersive and social one.
Hotstar says that realizing such massive change in mindsets of the generation today, its has marketing solutions and has emerged as the preferred choice by marketers to build interesting narratives around their brands.
Some Key Highlights
- Hotstar registered 2X installs, with 555 installs per minute in 2019, compared to 2018.
- Hotstar surpassed its own record of 10.7 million concurrent viewers during last season’s IPL and recorded a more than 300 million active users, in this season’s 12th edition of IPL.
- It witnessed a 74% increase in watch-time as compared to last year.
- 25.3 million Live Concurrent Viewers during the India vs New Zealand ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 semi-final.
- 100 million reach crossed in a single day.
- 63% of the total online entertainment consumption came from non-metros.
- More than 40% viewers of Family drama are men.
- 45% of total entertainment consumption came from women, which was 2X growth in video consumption by women compared to last year.
- 41% of Game of Thrones viewers also watched Hindi family dramas.
- More than 40% video consumption came from regional content
- Bigg Boss Tamil is the highest watched entertainment show having beaten all the Hindi TV Shows
- 64.4 million users participated in the Watch N Play game, answering 1.2 billion questions and sending over 5.9 billion emojis and 43.5 million comments during the VIVO IPL 2019.