Telcos Fail TRAI’s Surprise Customer Service Test; Apple called Anti-Customer by TRAI Chairman!
TRAI survey exposes Telco’s customer satisfaction initiatives
Since last 48 hours, Telecom Authority of India (TRAI) has been on an overdrive to protect consumer’s interest and rights.
While TRAI’s ‘surprise’ customer service test has been failed by all leading telecom players, TRAI Chairman has lambasted Apple for being anti-customer; something which no one has ever said to Apple.
Will these antics actually improve the condition of telecom users in India?
Telcos Fail To Meet Customer Service ‘Level’
TRAI conducted a secret, and surprise test to gauge the customer service levels of telecom companies in three circles: Delhi, Madhya Pradesh (MP) and Karnataka.
And very disappointing results have come out.
As per TRAI’s assessment, none of the telecom player managed to score passing marks, and things are going downhill.
In a statement announcing the results, TRAI said, “It has been observed that none of the service providers in the three service areas have achieved the benchmark for customer satisfaction. The level of satisfaction was around 50 per cent of the TRAI benchmark,”
Here are major highlights from the report:
- In Delhi, Airtel scored maximum marks in satisfaction level (but way below TRAI’s benchmark), and Reliance Communications scored the worst results.
- Airtel’s good scores were attributed to the fact that they did some good work in addressing call-drop menace in Delhi and MP, and giving better post-paid billing information, ‘customer care service, data speed, network signal’ in Delhi-NCR.
- In Delhi-NCR, Airtel scored maximum marks for Internet speed.
- Reliance Jio was rated No. 1 for Internet speed in MP and Karnataka.
- In MP and Karnataka, performance of Jio almost same as Vodafone, Airtel, BSNL and Idea.
- Reliance Communication scored lowest in both MP and Karnataka.
- Tata Teleservices was rated No. 1 in Karnataka for offering call-drop solutions
- Reliance Communication scored lowest in almost every circle as it failed to address issues such as customer care service, voice quality during call, overall service, mobile number portability processing, data service and network signal .
- MTNL scored the least for customer service, and for providing solutions for call-drop problem.
TRAI Chairman: Apple Is Anti-Customer
Meanwhile, TRAI Chairman has launched a stinging attack on World’s most valuable company: Apple. In a scathing attack on them, R S Sharma, chairman of TRAI said, “They are anti-consumer and they are really not caring towards their customers who could have been saved from pesky calls and unwanted messages.”
The issue is regarding the special DND app launched by TRAI. While Android has allowed their users to use this app, and pass on sensitive information about unwanted calls and messages to TRAI, Apple’s IOS hasn’t yet allowed this.
Sharma said, “While Google’s Android supports our Do-Not-Disturb (DND) app, Apple has just been discussing, discussing, and discussing. They have not done anything.”
Sharma has accused Apple of not allowing their customers to choose what they want, and imposing their own rules on them.
Sharma further said, “So basically you (Apple) are violating the right of the user to willingly share his/her own data with the regulator or with any third party of his/her choice.”, adding, “This is what we call data colonisation.”
Apple hasn’t yet responded to these allegations.