Delhi Emerges as Most Online Shopping Savvy City: Flipkart #FlipTrends
Online shopping has seen a sea-change in India in the last few years; buying trends have seen a 360 degree change. This frequency in changing patterns is much more than one could have ever thought of.
The digital space has been the root to all of this. Flipkart, one of the reasons why India got online to shop, conducted a survey called #FlipTrends found that mobile phones and electronic accessories are the highest selling items in the virtual market.
This survey has played an interesting role highlighting what people really wanted to know about the Indian online marketplace and the pace at which it is growing, helping the economy boom.
The analysis of #FlipTrends spanned through 50 million shoppers and their buying preferences and habits between January 1st and December 14th 2015. The yearlong survey is proof enough to define the online shopping trends of the country.
Ankit Nagori, Chief Business Officer of Flipkart said, “2015 is truly the year of the digital Indian consumer. The data taken from FlipTrends, an analysis of over 50 million registered Flipkart shoppers in 2015, shows that Indians are taking to shopping online at a very fast clip. What is particularly gratifying to note is that Flipkart is taking the lead in introducing the ease and convenience of online shopping to millions of Indians in Tier-2, Tier-3 towns, and in rural areas.”
Here are some Stats from Flipkart’s survey:
- The bestsellers in the online space are electronic accessories, mobile, lifestyle accessories and women apparel.
- The study shows that 69% of the online shoppers are male. So male dominance still exists in the country ehh!
- Among the Tier-1 cities, Pune leads the chart followed by Coimbatore, Ahmedabad and Lucknow.
- Mangalore has emerged as the top Tier-2 city of digital Indian shoppers followed by Mysore.
- The age group that dominates this market place is between the 25-34 years.
- Karnataka was the top state when it came to shopping followed by Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu
- Among the regions, South shopped online most followed by North, West and then East
It’s been quite some time now that we’ve been talking about how quick the mobile Internet penetration is rising in the country. Availability of variety in terms of brands and products, in hand with various price brackets has been a mixed reason to this boom.
According to #FlipTrends2015 Delhi NCR tops the chart as the most online shopping savvy city in India, closely followed by Bangalore, Mumbai, Chennai and Hyderabad. The metros, which have been the first to embrace this way of shopping due to their busy lives, we doubt would seldom leave the top spots.
They go online to even buy cowdung!