Indian Railways has today made and announcement that will make it mandatory for all passengers have tickers for all reserved classes including ‘Reserved Second Class (2S)’, ‘Sleeper Class (SL)’, ‘III Economy Class (3E)’ and ‘First Class (FC)’. This has been done to make sure that touts / middlemen do not take advantage of the system and only the the legitimate passengers are allowed.
Previously the identification was mandatory only for passengers traveling on e-tickets, Tatkal tickets or the passengers undertaking journey in AC classes.
Indian Railways has also expanded the list of the prescribed identity proofs. Now, following 10 documents will serve as a valid proofs of identity.
1. Voter Photo identity card issued by Election Commission of India.
3. PAN Card issued by Income Tax Department.
4. Driving License issued by RTO.
5. Photo identity card having serial number issued by Central/State Government which include the following:
- (i) Pension Pay Order s(PPO)
- (ii) Ration Card with photographs
- (iii) Senior Citizen cards
- (iv) Below Poverty Line (BPL) cards
- (v) ESI cards (with photograph) issued for taking treatment in ESI dispensaries.
- (vi) CGHS Cards (with photograph) issued to individual family members of Central Govt. employees.
6. Student Identity Card with photograph issued by recognized School/College for their students.
7. Nationalized Bank Passbook with photographs.
8. Credit Cards issued by Banks with laminated photograph.
9. Unique Identification Card “Aadhaar”.
10. Photo identity cards having serial number issued by Public Sector Undertakings of State/Central Government, District Administrations, Municipal bodies and Panchayat Administrations.
If the passengers in any of the classes fail to furnish their IDs, they will be treated as traveling without ticket and charged accordingly.
The above change in policy will come in effect from December 1st 2012.
So if you plan on traveling after in December or later, make sure you carry your Identification with you!