India adds 6.14 mln New Mobile Subscribers in March, Snaps 8 Month Loosing Streak
Finally, the mobile subscriber data is in green after a 8 month long loosing streak. As per the TRAI telecom subscriber data released yesterday, India has added 6.14 million new mobile subscribers in month of March 2013, taking the total mobile subscriber tally to 867.8 million.
Though I mention that in previous 8 months India lost subscribers, it necessarily does not mean that physically the mobile subscribers were lost. It was actually the cleansing of the system that was taking place.
Since June 2012, it is the first time that TRAI has reported addition in mobile subscribers. Since then even though the total tally had shrunk, active mobile subscriber had constantly been on the rise, which, essentially means that only the inactive numbers were going out of the system.
If you see the graph below you will clearly notice that active mobile subscriber percentage has grown from 74.5 percent in June 2012 to a healthy 83.3 percent in March 2013.
Telecom Subscription Data Highlights [March 2013]
– With addition 6.17 million in March 2013, Indian total mobile subscriber base has reached 867.80 million. India had 861.66 million subscriber by end of Feb 2013.
– Urban India witnessed a rise of 0.77 percent or 4.02 mln subscribers, while rural mobile subscriber base grew by 0.63 percent or 2.13 mln. It is also first time in 6 months that Urban India has reported a rise.
– Urban Teledensity increased to 140.67, while the rural tele-density grew to 40.23 from previous 40.01.
– Urban mobile subscriber share stands at 60.53% as compared 39.47% of rural subscribers.
– 2.87 million new Mobile portability requests were made in month of March 2013, taking the total tally of MNP requests since launch to 89.70 mln.
– Active Mobile Subscriber base increased from 712.49 mln in Feb 2013 to 723.00 mln in March 2013 taking the active percentage to 83.31 percent.
– Broadband Subscription increased to 1.505 crore from previous tally of 1.500 crore.
– Wireline Subscriber base fell to 30.21 mln in Feb 2013 as compared to previously 30.36 million.
– India’s total telecom subscriber base (wireless+wireline) has increased to 898.02 mln in March 2013, compared to 892.02 mln in Feb 2013.
Operator Wise Monthly Additions & Market Share [March 2013]
Reliance Infocomm was the biggest gainer in the month of March 2013 with addition of over 3 million new subscribers, while on the other hand Sistema lost 2.12 million subscribers. Among the 13 telecom operators 6 operators added new subscribers to their kitty, while 7 lost!
Reliance had been loosing quite a lot of subscribers since Jan 2012 due tow which there market share had taken a big hit. They had 16.79 percent of Indian market share in Jan 2012 and were 2nd largest telecom provider in India. In March 2013, their market share is at 14.17 percent even after adding more new subscribers than any other operator.
Tata has also been on the wrong end for quite some time now – At peak in 2011, they have nearly 11 percent market share which has now dropped to nearly 7.65 percent.
Bharti Airtel who generally top the additions charts managed to add only 1.57 million, while Vodafone added 2.47 mln and Idea added 2.32 mln.