Indian Mobile Subscribers Fall to 861.7 mln, Uninor looses 8 mln [Feb 2013 stats]
TRAI yesterday released Telecom subscription data for Feb 2013 and the fall in mobile subscriber number continues. This is 8th straight month that India has seen a negative growth in numbers primarily due to Uninor loosing over 8 million subscribers. Feb 2013 witnessed a overall fall of 0.96 million subscribers.
As mentioned previously as well – This fall necessarily does not mean that those many Mobile subscribers actually have gone out of the system. The fall is mostly due to inactive numbers been taken off the charts that were previously counted.
The important factor is that active mobile subscriber is rising consistently with percentage now reaching a healthy 82.69 percent.
Due to inactive numbers being deactivated after 3 months of non usage, active number percentage has grown from 74.5 percent in June 2012 to a healthy 82.7 percent in Feb 2013.
Telecom Subscription Data Highlights [January 2013]
– With fall of 0.96 million in Feb 2013, Indian total mobile subscriber base has reached 861.66 million. India had 862.62 million subscriber by end of Jan 2013.
– Urban India witnessed a fall of 1.44 percent or 7.60 mln subscribers, while rural mobile subscriber base grew by 1.99 percent or 6.64 mln.
– Urban Teledensity fell to 139.83, while the rural tele-density grew to 40.01 from previous 39.26.
– Urban mobile subscriber share stands at 60.50% as compared 39.50% of rural subscribers.
– 2.57 million new Mobile portability requests were made in month of Feb 2013, taking the total tally of MNP requests since launch to 86.83 mln.
– Active Mobile Subscriber base increased from 708.00 mln in Jan 2013 to 712.49 mln in Feb 2013 taking the active percentage to 82.69.
– Broadband Subscription fell to 1.5 crore from previous tally of 1.501 crore. Broadband growth has slowed down over last few months, and this is the first time that it has shown negative growth
– Wireline Subscriber base fell to 30.36 mln in Feb 2013 as compared to previously 30.52 million.
– India’s total telecom subscriber base (wireless+wireline) has fallen to 892.02 mln in Feb 2013, compared to 893.15 mln in Jan 2013.
Operator Wise Monthly Additions & Market Share [Jan 2013]
Uninor was the biggest looser in month of February with a fall of 8.35 million or nearly 20 percent of its subscribers.
Idea led the pack with addition of over 2.89 million subscribers followed by Bharti (2.43 mln) and Vodafone (2.19 million).
Apart from Uninor, Aircel lost 698k, Tata lost 692k and Videocon lost 196k subscribers.
Bharti now has 21.4 percent market share in India. Vodafone increased its market share further and now holds 17.4 percent followed by Reliance at 13.92 percent.
Unitech’s fall in Feb brought down its market share from 4.65 percent in Jan 2013 to 3.69 percent in Feb 2013.
[Full TRAI Report]