Jio Completes One Year Of Operations – Some Interesting Facts
Reliance Jio has completed one year of commercial operations in India.
Reliance Jio has completed one year of commercial operations in India. It has been a year of ups and downs. Jio has proven to be the greatest disruptor in the Indian telecom industry ever.
Jio is responsible for single-handedly bringing about a revolution in tariff pricing and has all but triggered an all out pricing war among Indian Telcos. It has had many firsts and has been a pioneer in introducing newest technologies in the Indian telecom industry.
Till date, Jio is the only operator offering VoLTE in India. Yes, it has experienced some teething troubles along the way, but all new technology implementations do. But Jio has shrugged it all off and managed to deliver on its promises. More importantly, Jio has also given an equal importance to tier-2 and rural markets.
Let us take a look at some interesting facts about Jio you may not know.
Jio Completes One Year: The Journey So Far
- Jio is the only all 4G, all IP network in the World. Jio has over 100,000 sites, backed by state-of-the-art, all IP network and LTE spectrum across 800MHz, 1800MHz and 2300MHz bands. With the largest fiber footprint, Jio has the widest LTE coverage in India than any other telecom player. Jio’s network claims to cover 99% of India’s population. Jio is soon expected to have a larger 4G coverage than the 2G coverage set up over the last 25 years in India.
- As the market moves towards data, Jio is offering free voice calls in India.
- As mobile data consumption in India went up from 20 crore GB per month to over 150 crore GB per month, Jio claims that their customers alone are consuming 125 crore GB of that data. These are some mind-boggling figures.
- India has jumped from no. 155 to no. 1 in the world in terms of the volume of mobile data consumed.
- Jio is the World’s first and only Exabyte Telecom network. At more than 100 crore GB data per month, Jio is already carrying five times more data than all other telecom players put together in India.
- Jio users stream videos in excess of 165 crore hours per month and generate voice traffic of more than 250 crore minute per day.
- Jio has achieved the fastest ramp-up of subscribers in the world by any technology company. It added seven customers every second reaching 100 million customers in just 170 days. Today there are over 130 million customers on Jio network.
- Jio has made tariffs much more affordable having gone with their disruptive pricing and has brought it down to less than Rs 50 per GB currently.
- Jio users pay even lesser per GB per month with the current Rs 399 plan which offers 1 GB of high speed data per day for 84 days.
- Jio has consistently managed to rank at the top in usage speeds on TRAI’s SpeedTest Portal.
- As on 31st August 2016 there were about 154 million wireless broadband subscribers in India. As per TRAI data, after Jio introduced their broadband services, the wireless broadband subscriber count was over 282 million as on 30th June 2017.
- Prior to Jio’s launch, there were nearly 16,000 plans available to confuse consumers. After Jio launch, all operators are trying to replicate the Jio model by trimming the number of plans being offered.
- Jio’s launch has resulted in exponential growth of the digital ecosystem. All key social media applications and content providers like Facebook, You Tube and others have seen enhanced user base in India. India has become most active market for Google and Facebook with 70 mn additions after Jio’s launch.
- Jio’s 4G-only network has resulted in mass proliferation of 4G devices across the entire Jio network which has a wide Pan-India coverage.
Whatever the controversies and disruptions Jio has caused, one thing we all can agree on is that Jio has created a revolution in tariff pricing and has forced other telecom operators to lower their prices. The Indian Consumer is the ultimate winner here and that is all that matters.