Seldom we have seen or experienced such aggressive and complete market domination by a company, anywhere in the world. But, when it comes to Reliance and Mukesh Ambani, then it seems that nothing is impossible.
In a span of 11 months, Reliance Jio has conquered entire data card market in India.
Latest figures from CyberMedia Research (CMR) are actually shocking: 91% of the data card market is now under Jio, and as per the trends, their market share will continue to ‘cannibalize’ smaller players in this segment.
JioFi The Undisputed Leader of Data Card Market
Once a playground of players like Reliance Communication and Tata, data card market has literally bowed down to the aggression and dominance of Reliance Jio now.
As per data for Q2 2017 shared by CMR, Reliance Jio has grabbed 91% market share via their JioFi WiFi router. Jio sources the hardware from multiple OEMs, majority of whom are Chinese.
Incumbent and traditional brands which provided data cards, like Huawei has now only 3% market share left; which too is eroding fast.
Narinder Kumar, Analyst, ?industry Intelligence ?practice at CMR, said, “Jio’s MiFi devices (JioFi) also impacted home router market. However, we expect Mi-Fi’s to continue cannibalising the entry level router market for few more quarters from now,”
Overall, data cards’ shipments and orders increased by 16%, which means 4 million units were shipped in Q2, compared to 3.4 million in Q1. Units shipped by Alcatel grew fastest at 522%, followed by ZTE at 21% and D-Link at 82%.
If compared year on year, then the overall market of data cards grew by 614%, mainly because of Jio’s entry last year in September.
Some Other Interesting Highlights:
- LTE/4G accounted for 17% of the overall growth in the market, mainly due to presence of MiFi devices from Jio
- 3G data cards shipments reduced by 61% in Q2, as compared to Q1
- Data cards with data speed of 150Mbps were best sellers, as they accounted for 91% of overall orders and shipments of data cards.
- 92% of all data cards shipped were using Qualcomm chipsets in India
- The largest adoption of new users into Jio’s MiFi device ecosystem were from Tier2/3 cities, where users ditched BSNL’s broadband services, and started using Jio. It seems that BSNL’s delay in launching 4G services is one of the main reasons for Jio’s massive gains.
Now, as per newest offers, Jio is providing data worth Rs 1999, along with unlimited free voice calls for all new JioFi router users; a plan which will possibly add more new users.
Are you using JioFi routers? What, according to you, is the reason behind their massive success?
Do let us know by commenting right here!