Amitabh Bachchan Beats SRK & PM Modi To Remain Most Popular Indian On Twitter; Sports Dominate Viral Tweets (Top Twitter Moments 2015)
3.3 crore Indians are using Twitter right now, which is almost 17% of social media users in the country. All we need to do is tap into the Twitter’s research about how Indians used their network, and get perfect idea about the pulse of India.
Twitter has just released their “The 2015 #YearOnTwitter in India” report, and there are some major surprises in store.
To start with, sports have clearly beaten politics when it comes to the virality and popularity of Tweets. The most influential moment on Twitter was the India-Pakistan match during Cricket World Cup in February, as it generated 118 million impressions from 1.7 million Tweets.
And, #IPL was the most popular hashtag for Indian users, as massive 9 million tweets were sent using this one.
Other influential moments includes:
- Delhi Elections: 108 Million Tweets
- Happy Diwali: 1.8 million Tweets (+ special emoji)
- Chennai Rains: 1.4 million Tweets
- 69th Independence Day: 100,000 Salute Selfie tweets + Indian flag emoji
Besides #IPL, the most popular hashtags were:
- #SelfieWithDaughter: 375,000 Tweets
- #BiharResults: 260,000 Tweets
- #SaalEkShuruaatAnek: 179,000 Tweets
- #DDLJ20Years: 140,000 Tweets
Amitabh Bachchan Beats Shahrukh Khan & PM Modi
There were 4 million followers of PM Modi’s Twitter handle in May, 2014, which has now become 4 times to reach 16.4 million. This is the biggest gain any Indian has achieved on Twitter.
However, reigning the chart is India’s biggest superstar Amitabh Bachchan who is #1 Indian on Twitter with 18.1 million fans. He has beaten Shahrukh Khan, as he is at #2 position with 16.5 million fans. PM Modi is at #3 position with 16.4 million fans.
Aamir Khan with 15.5 million fans is at #4, while Salman Khan is at #5 with 15 millions fans. Deepika Padukone has emerged as #1 lady on Twitter India with 12.3 million fans, while Hritik Roshan is at #7, Priyanka Chopra at #8, Akshay Kumar at #9 and AR Rahman at #10.
The Most ReTweeted Tweet Of The Year
Twitter calls it the ‘Golden Tweet’, which belongs to Shahrukh Khan’s selfie with British boy band One Direction’s former member, Zayn Malik. This tweet received 140,000 retweets and was viewed by 18.3 million users from all over the world.
This kid is so cool. May Allah bless him. Dinner time at the Asian Awards. pic.twitter.com/l0gV12n0kv
— Shah Rukh Khan (@iamsrk) April 17, 2015
- PM Modi’s ambitious and successful mission: ‘Make in India’ became the first non-US brand to get its own emoji.
- #CWC(Cricket World Cup) and #IPL became Twitter’s first custom timeline for cricket tournaments
- Jet Airways and Reliance become 1st Indian brands to introduce Tweets powered transactions
- Iconic monument Taj Mahal joined Twitter this year
- Cricket legend Kapil Dev debuted on Twitter this year
You can access the complete report here.