Three #AndroidOne Smartphones Launched In India At Rs. 6399. [Full Overview]
Article Updated with device links and prices. Also added Comparison Chart
The Android One launch event is still in progress as I write this. Indian folks on Twitter and Facebook have been very excited about this launch. Surprisingly, Google had asked all the the attendees to refrain from live tweeting about the event and had embargoed everything till 2 pm.
At Google I/O in June, Sunder Pichai had announced Google’s partnership with likes of Micromax, Karbonn, Intex and Spice for the Android One program. In today’s launch event 3 Android One phones were announced – Micromax Canvas A1, Karbonn Sparkle and Spice Dream UNO Mi-498.
All the phones have very similar specifications and come at a price of Rs. 6399 or around $105. Interestingly the price of this phone is slightly higher than what one would have expected. At the Google I/O event, it was announced that these phones will be sub-$100 phones.
All these 3 brands have chosen to have exclusive partnership with 3 different eCommerce sites for selling their phones. Karbonn Sparkle V Red is available on Snapdeal. Spice Dream Uno Mi-498 is available on Flipkart where as Micromax Canvas A1 is available on Amazon India site. (we will update the links as soon as they are available.)
Highlights of Android One Announcements
- After India, Google plans to expand Android One to Pakistan, Philippines ,Indonesia and few other countries. They will also be having partnerships for Android One with OEM manufacturers like Alcatel, Panasonic, Asus,Acer and HTC.
- In India, apart from Micromax, Spice and Karbonn, Android One will also be available with other vendors like Xolo, Lava, Intex, HTC, Lenovo, ASUS, Acer and Alcatel.
- The price of the phones will more or less be around Rs. 6300
- Android One Smartphones will support 7 additional Indian languages.
- Indian users will be able to give voice commands, type messages and use almost all major mobile applications in Hindi.
- All Android one smartphones will get android L update prior than anyone else
- Google has tied up with various Telecom operators including Bharti Airtel and Reliance to provide free bundled data plans on purchase of Android One phones.
- Google will offer free data to download OS updates on Android One phones.
- Android One phones will soon be available in offline stores as well. Google plans to setup their own stores across India.
Currently only specifications for Karbonn Sparkle V Red is available, but all 3 phones are going to have very similar specifications. One of the reasons for that is also because, Google wants to Standardize Android One ecosystem and have minimum fragmentation. Here are the specs.
- Display – 4.5-inch FWVGA
- Processor – 1.3 GHz Quad-Core Mediatek Processor
- SIM – Dual-SIM
- RAM – 1GB
- Storage – 4G Expandable upto 32GB
- Camera – 5 Megapixel Front / 2 mp Rear
- Battery – 1700 mAH
- Mobile OS – Android 4.4.4 KitKat
- Sensors – G-Sensor , Proximity sensor, Light sensor, E-Compass, Gyro Sensor
- Price – 6399/-
Comparisons of 3 Android One Phones
While the price of this phones is marginally higher than what was expected, they are still very attractive for Indian consumers. At just over Rs. 6000, one is getting the phone that can play nearly everything that a regular user needs. Along with it Android One users will get the latest and best OS before anyone else. The phones have been localized and also have bundled data offer.
While there are cheaper phones (with better specs available) like Xiaomi Redmi 1s, their availability is very limited. With Android One phones being available at offline stores too, I am sure they are going to sell in big numbers.
Like I have mentioned in one of my tweets earlier – Android One is a bigger threat to Samsung’s Numero Uno than Xiaomi is in India!
Would love to hear your thoughts on this!