5.65 mln New Mobile Subscribers Added, Total Reaches 881.13 mln [Nov13 Stats]
TRAI today released their November 2013 telecom subscription report which states that India added 5.65 million new subscribers, second highest mobile subscriber addition since July 2012. The total tally of reached 881.13 million by end of November 2013.
One important aspect that is seen in current months is that rural subscriber growth has been much higher compared to urban India. In November, Urban India added only 1.59 mln as compared to rural’s 4.06 million.
Here are mobile subscription numbers since March 2012.
Active Mobile Subscriber Base
TRAI has effectively weeded out inactive numbers from the system in last 24 months. Though, the new 5.65 new connections were added in November, the active subscriber count increased by 9.19 million. The active subscriber count increased from 744.28 mln in Oct to 753.47 million in November.
The total vs active subscriber percentage now stands at 85.51! Since June 2012, the active subscriber percentage has grown by over 11 percent!
Mobile Subscription Highlights [November 2013]
– With an increase of 5.65 million in Nov 2013, total mobile subscriber base has reached to 881.13 million. India had 875.48 million subscribers by end of October 2013.
– Urban India witnessed a increase of 0.30 percent or 1.59 mln subscribers, while rural mobile subscriber base increased by 1.15 percent or 4.06 mln.
– Urban Teledensity increased to 138.42 from 138.23 in Oct, while the rural tele-density increased to 41.71 from previous 41.27.
– Urban mobile subscriber share stands at 59.45% as compared 40.55% of rural subscribers.
– 2.09 million new Mobile portability requests were made in month of Nov 2013, taking the total tally of MNP requests since launch to 106.87 mln.
– Active Mobile Subscriber base increased from 744.28 mln in Oct 2013 to 753.47 mln in Nov 2013 taking the active percentage to 85.51 percent.
– Wireline Broadband (> 512 Kbps) decreased to 14.47 million in November 2013, as compared to 14.91 million in October 2013.
– Wireline Subscriber base fell to 29.01 mln in Nov 2013 as compared to previously 29.08 million.
– India’s total telecom subscriber base (wireless+wireline) has increased to 910.14 mln in Nov 2013, compared to 904.56 mln in Oct 2013.
According to TRAI report, Tata was the only telecom operator that lost subscribers (-107k) in month of November 2013. All other operators added to their tally, with Bharti leading the charts. Bharti added 1.72 mln followed by Aircel (1.54 mln) and Vodafone (1.34 mln). Reliance managed to add only about 304k subscribers.
Mobile Subscriber Numbers of Top 8 Mobile Operator [Nov 2013]
- Bharti Airtel – 196,598,260
- Vodafone – 158,034,139
- Idea – 128,413,872
- Reliance – 117,015,936
- BSNL – 98,333,557
- Tata – 63,343,783
- Aircel – 65,283,113
- Unitech – 32,370,054
[TRAI Nov Report]