3.16 Mln New Mobile Subscribers Added, 2.91 Mln From Rural India Alone! [June Stats]
Mobile subscriber growth now seems to be coming from Rural India. In the month of June 2013, India added a total of 3.16 million new subscribers taking the total tally of mobile subscribers in India to 873.36 million. This is very visible from the fact that villages and towns added 2.91 mln new connections as compared to only 0.26 mln in Metros and cities.
According to TRAI’s latest report, India now has a total telecom subscriber base of 903.09 million that includes landline connections as well.
Here is the chart that shows subscriber additions since January 2012.
It is interesting to note than mobile subscriber numbers were at peak in June last year when India had nearly 925 mln subscribers. But most of those subscribers were basically inactive. Last year TRAI decided that it will remove all inactive numbers from the system after 3 months of non-usage. Due, to that decision many long time inactive numbers went out of the system and hence we have had months when mobile subscribers showed negative growth.
However, due to this move the active subscriber percentage rose drastically. In last one year, the percentage of active subscribers has grown from 74.5 percent in June 2012 to 83.75 percent in June 2013.
Telecom Subscription Data Highlights [June 2013]
– With an increase of 3.16 million in June 2013, total mobile subscriber base has increased to 873.36 million. India had 870.20 million subscribers by end of May 2013.
– Urban India witnessed an increase of 0.05 percent or 0.26 mln subscribers, while rural mobile subscriber base grew by 0.83 percent or 2.91 mln.
– Urban Teledensity decreased to 139.16 from 139.32 in May, while the rural tele-density grew to 41.14 from previous 40.83.
– Urban mobile subscriber share stands at 59.80% as compared 40.20% of rural subscribers.
– 2.03 million new Mobile portability requests were made in month of June 2013, taking the total tally of MNP requests since launch to 95.59 mln.
– Active Mobile Subscriber base increased from 727.92 mln in May 2013 to 731.47 mln in June 2013 taking the active percentage to 83.75 percent.
– Broadband Subscription increased to 15.19 mln from previous tally of 15.13 mln.
– Wireline Subscriber base fell to 29.73 mln in April 2013 as compared to previously 29.85 million.
– India’s total telecom subscriber base (wireless+wireline) has increased to 903.09 mln in June 2013, compared to 900.05 mln in April 2013.
Operator Wise Monthly Additions [June 2013]
Bharti Airtel added maximum subscribers (1.26 mln) in month of June 2013, followed by Idea (1.21 mln). The numbers clearly suggest that lot of churn happens due to MNP and inactive number removals. Idea, Vodafone and Bharti have been biggest benefactor of MNP, while Tata has been losing mobile subscribers in loads. In month they fared the worst losing over 0.63 mln subscribers. MTS was the second biggest loser with 0.35 mln subscriber moving out of their network.
Bharti Airtel consolidated its position further and now has 21.86 percent market share in India. Idea is now inching close to become 3rd largest mobile operator in India with 14.31 percent. Reliance has a marginally higher market share with 14.40 percent.
Mobile Subscriber Numbers of Top 8 Mobile Operator [June 2013]
- Bharti Airtel – 190,912,421
- Vodafone – 155,033,868
- Reliance – 125,732,649
- Idea – 124,968,107
- BSNL – 97,990,720
- Tata – 64,626,015
- Aircel – 60,969,974
- Unitech – 32,295,872
Links To Previous Telecom Subscription Reports 
[TRAI telecom report]