Facebook has finally achieved it – About an hour ago, Mark Zuckerberg updated his timeline to reveal that Facebook has crossed the magical 1,000,000,000 user mark.
To be honest, it is unbelievable – Just 3 years back, Facebook had about 175 million subscribers. Accumulating over 825 million new subscribers in a span of 36 month is simply magical. Here is the status update that Mark put up on his timeline!
Here are Facebook’s Top 5 Markets based on userbase:
Here are some of the statistics that Facebook released on the eve of hitting 1 Billion users:
- Over 1.13 trillion likes since launch in February 2009
- 140.3 billion friend connections
- 219 billion photos uploaded
- Data was pulled on 9/10/2012, and represents the total # of photos currently on this site – in other words, it excludes deleted photos. If we wanted to include all photos ever uploaded, the estimate we have is 265 billion. Photo uploading launched fall 2005.
- 17 billion location-tagged posts, including check-ins
- Includes location-tagged posts as well as check-ins. Data was pulled 9/10/2012, and represents total location-tagged posts & check-ins since launch of the product in August 2010
- 62.6 million songs have been played 22 billion times – that’s about 210,000 years of music
- Data was pulled on 9/11/2012, and represents song plays since the launch of music-listening applications in September 2011
- Characteristics of users joining the week Facebook hit 1B
- The median age of the user is about 22
- The top five countries where people connected from at the time we reached this milestone were Brazil, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States (NOTE: in alphabetical order)
- Facebook now has 600M mobile users
Here is a video interview of Mark Zuckerberg given exclusively to NBC News in regards to reaching the magical 1 Billion Subscriber mark.
What next for Facebook? Has it reached the pinnacle?