TRAI released the June mobile and broadband subscriber numbers for India and as expected the growth in mobile subscriber has slowed down, especially when it comes to urban subscriber growth rate. 4.73 new mobile subscribers were added in June 2012, taking the total tally to 934.1 million.
Urban growth has saturated as the current urban teledensity has reached to 162.5 (Over 100% rate is because many subscribers have multi-sim cards), while the rural teledensity is close to 40.
Historical Monthly mobile Subscriber additions
Indian Telecom Subscription Highlights Data June 2012
– 4.37 mln new subscribers added in June 2012 taking total tally to 934.09 mln
– Rural India (4.12 mln) added 7 times more subscribers as compared to Urban India (0.60 mln). Rural monthly growth rate was 1.24% as compared to urban growth rate of just 0.10%.
– Urban Teledensity stands at 162.57 as compared to rural density of 39.35
– Urban mobile subscriber share 63.98% as compared 36.02% rural subscribers
– 4.16 million new Mobile portability requests were made in month of June 2012 taking the total tally of MNP requests since launch to 54.33mln
– Out of total 934.09 million, 695.82 mln were active mobile subscribers in month of June 2012 (Peak VLR data).
– 1.9 lakh new Broadband subscribers were added in month of May taking total tally to 1.45 crore.
– Delhi (238.60) has 4 times the teledensity as compared to the National average (79.58). Lowest teledensity was registered in Bihar (48.16)
– India has a total telecom subscriber base (wireless+wireline) of 965.52 mln.
Operator wise Mobile Subscriber additions [June 12]
Last 6 months have not been good for Tata – They have been consistently registering negative growth over past 6 months. Tata’s lost close to 13.1 lakh subscribers in month of June. They always were among the top 3 when it came to new subscriber additions in previous years, however, MNP seems to have taken a toll on them. They are loosing subscribers in hordes.
On the other hand, companies like Bharti and Idea have benefitted tremendously from MNP with subscribers preferring them over other telecom operators. In last few months, Uninor has played the pricing card well and they have also been consistently added large number of subscribers to their tally.
Bharti added 20 lakh new subscribers to its kitty to take its overall market share beyond 20%. So every 1 out of 5 subscriber is on Airtel. Vodafone added 12.2 lakh subscribers and now have a market share of 16.46% just behind Reliance (16.55%). Idea has grown its market share to 12.54 percent with addition of close to 12 lakh subscribers in June 2012.
Tata, Videocon and Loop were the 3 operators who lost mobile subscribers in month of June 2012.