I did not expect the Great Indian Telecom Growth story to start stuttering so fast! According to latest TRAI report for November 2011, India added mere 2.97 million new mobile subscribers – A number which is probably lowest in past more than 5 years. In last 3 years, India has been averaging additions of close to 15 million subscribers month on month
Now, I do need to add a caveat here, before making it sound too bleak. Tata has been loosing its market share considerably over past few months, and this month it is showing huge negative growth. Infact, according to the report, Tata has lost a whooping 4.45 million subscribers in month of November alone – I am really not sure what is the reason behind this. And, MNP surely cannot be the reason for loosing such a large chunk of subscribers, as overall MNP requests were pegged at 2.7 million.
Fall in Telecom Subscriber Growth
|Month||Mobile Subscriber Additions (in Mln)|
|March 2011||20.1 Mln|
|April 2011||15.1 Mln|
|May 2011||13.1 Mln|
|June 2011||11.41 Mln|
|July 2011||6.67 Mln|
|August 2011||7.34 Ml|
|September 2011||7.9 Mln|
|November 2011||2.97 Mln|
If you see the table it is clear that low number of additions is not a one-off case, but the fall in subscriber additions has been gradual, which points to the fact that Indian subscriber base is now nearly saturated and earlier rate of additions should not be expected.
Telecom Subscriber Addition Highlights – November 2011
- Total Telecom Subscriber base stands at 917.33 million users.
- Mobile Subscriber base stands at 884.37 Million users, addition of 2.97 million subscribers over October.
- Wireline Subscriber base stands at 32.96 million, fall of about 0.69%.
- India has 581.33 million urban & 303.04 million rural subscribers.
- Overall Tele-density in India stands at 73.44 percent.
- 2.67 million users requested for Mobile Number Portability in month of November 2011. 23.2 millions mobile users have opted for mobile number portability till date.
- Active Mobile subscribers on the date of peak VLR in November 2011 stand at 635.39 Mln
Operator wise Monthly Mobile Subscriber Addition – November 2011
Like previous month, Idea and Uninor have gained large chunk of subscribers, while Tata has seen biggest fall. Idea added 2.17 million & Uninor added 1.86 million new mobile subscribers in November 2011. On the other hand Tata lost whooping 4.4 million subscribers – This sure has to be some kind of previous mis-calculation which has been corrected now and hence showing such a big fall!
Bharti remains at the top with close to 1/5th of Indian mobile market share. While Idea is gaining market share rapidly, Tata is loosing it even faster and now stands at 9.43% compared to 10.16% previously.
Broadband Subscriber Growth – November 2011
Total Broadband subscriber base increased from 12.98 Mln in Oct 2011 to 13.13 million at the end of November 2011, there by showing a monthly growth of 1.21%.
Yearly growth in Broadband Subscribers has been 22.58% during the last one year.
[Entire TRAI report pdf]