After few months of 2011 registering close to 20 million Mobile Subscriber additions, April registered relatively lower 15 million subscriber additions. Although lower, I am quite sure that it is still the highest monthly subscriber additions anywhere in the world !
According to figures released by TRAI (Telecom Regulatory Authority of India), India now has total of 861.48 million Telecom subscribers (826.93 mln Wireless + 34.55 wireline subscribers)
Highlights of Indian Telecom Subscriber Additions in April 2011
- India added 15.34 million mobile subscribers registering a monthly growth of 1.89%
- Wireline Subscribers declined by 180k and the figure now stands at 34.55 million.
- The Total of 861.48 million Telecom subscribers consist of 573.36 ml Urban & 288.12 mln Rural Subscribers.
- 9.38 mln Urban subscribers were added as compared to 5.97 mln in rural areas.
- Urban Teledensity now stands at whooping 159.63% as compared to 34.47% in Rural India
- Overall Tele-density in India reaches to 72.08 at the end of April 2011 from 70.43 of the previous month
- Mobile Number Portability requests has increased from 64.23 lakh subscribers at the end of March 2011 to 85.41 lakh subscribers at the end of April 2011.
- Private Telecom operators hold 88.21% of the mobile market share where as the 2 PSUs (BSNL and MTNL) hold only 11.79% mobile market share.
Bharti’s Market share decreased slightly from 19.99% in March to 19.91% in April 2011, while Reliance increased it market share from 16.72% to 16.77% as compared to previous month. Vodafone (16.56%) stands at 3rd way ahead of BSNL (11.13%), whose market share is reducing rapidly. I think in TRAI’s next report we should see Idea taking over BSNL in the fourth position!
Operator wise Telecom Subscriber Additions in April 2011
Reliance added 2.94 Million subscribers or 19.15% of all subscribers added in April 2011, while Idea added 2.45 million new subscribers to their kitty. Bharti, relatively added lower numbers (2.41 Mln) followed by Vodafone (2.40 mln).
It is very surprising that BSNL did very well last month adding close to 1.5 million new subscribers to its kitty and this month it managed to add only a miniscule 173k. I am not sure how BSNL witnessed such a major fall. As far as MTNL goes, the growth seems to have come to a stand still adding only 367 new subscribers!
Growth in Broadband Subscribers
The lesser we talk about these numbers the better it is – India’s total Broadband subscriber base has increased from 11.87 million in March 2011 to 12.01 million in April 2011, there by showing a growth of 1.17 %.