Apple iOS App store still leads by quite a margin as far as buying and downloading of applications is concerned – however, Android has been gaining handsomely since last year and the gap between the two is only reducing.
According to the IHS Screen Digest data, Apple app store grew 131 percent as compared to 861 percent year on year growth by Android App Market. Although, Android growth is on much smaller footprint, it is still quite commendable given it is the youngest of all.
Another report released by Lookout Mobile Security reveals some very interesting facts about Android App Market and Apple iOS app store. According to the report if the Android growth trend continues, Android Market will have more apps than the Apple App Store by mid-2012!
Here are some of the highlights of that report.
App Genome Report Findings (Apple Vs Android)
- The number of apps available on the Android Market increased by approx 127% since August 2010, while the Apple App Store grew at a relative rate of 44%.
- If each market continues to grow at the same rate, the Android Market will have more apps than the Apple App Store by mid-2012.
- Android Market developers typically release more apps than Apple App Store developers. On average the Android Market has 6.2 apps per developer and the Apple App Store has 4.8 apps per developer.
- The Android Market’s prevalence of paid apps increased from 22% in August 2010 to 34% in February 2011, whereas the proportion of paid apps in the Apple App Store decreased slightly during the same period, going from 71% to 66%.
- Android Market price points have increased: the proportion of paid Android Market apps costing $0.99 or less decreased from 61% in August 2010 to 37% in February 2011.
Free Vs Paid Apps in Android Market & Apple App store
- More than 95% of paid apps in the Android Market cost less than $10, though the prevalence of apps priced greater than $10 has significantly increased during the past 6 months
- While most Android Market apps are priced at $2.99 or less (73%), the $0.99 or less price point has seen a major decrease.
- The largest areas of growth in the Android Market are in apps priced between $1-$9.99, with both the $1-$2.99 and $3-$9.99 segments seeing significant growth.
Mobile Advertising on Mobile Apps
Admob is the clear leader when it comes to mobile app advertising. Here are some highlights of the report.
- AdMob is the dominant player on the Android Market, being integrated into over 40% of free apps. Amongst free Android Market apps, the AdMob SDK has increased in prevalence from 37% to 41% over the last 6 months.
- AdMob is the incumbent on iOS, being present in 17% of free apps on the Apple App Store.
- iAd may emerge to become the dominant player on iOS, having grown from just 5.6% of free Apple App Store apps to 15% during the past 6 months.
The report also has quite a bit of interesting insights on alternative app markets, especially on Android which are targeted at Chinese users. You can read the complete report here.