We are just one day away from Cricket world cup Extravaganza. The cricket fever has gripped the nation. Most of the cricket fanatics know most of the when’s and where’s and who’s and how’s and why’s of this Tournament. All such data is available on net. So we decided to compile all at one place for your viewing pleasure.
- 1 Some interesting facts of 2011 ICC World Cup
- 1.1 1) Duration of ICC World cup :
- 1.2 2) Host nations :
- 1.3 3) Participating Teams :
- 1.4 4) Total number of World Cup matches
- 1.5 5) Total venues in all :
- 1.6 India – 8
- 1.7 Bangladesh-2
- 1.8 Sri Lanka-3
- 1.9 6) How teams proceed progressively to next stage?
- 1.10 7) ICC World Cup Trophy and Prize Money
- 1.11 Prize Money :
- 1.12 8) ICC World Cup 2011 official Mascot
- 1.13 9) ICC World Cup 2011 official Song :
- 1.14 10) ICC World Cup 2011 Official Event Ambassador :
Some interesting facts of 2011 ICC World Cup
1) Duration of ICC World cup :
- Cricket World Cup will be played from Feb 19 to April 2.
- Qualifying round matches will be till March 20
- Quarter Final matches will be played between March 23 to March 26
- Semi Final matches on March 29 and March 30
- Cricket World Cup Final will be held April 2
2) Host nations :
This world cup will be jointly hosted by 3 countries – India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.
3) Participating Teams :
There are total of 14 teams participating in this world up comprising of 2 groups with 7 teams each
|Group A||Group B|
4) Total number of World Cup matches
Total of 49 matches will be played (incidentally one of the highest compared to any previous world cup). There will be 42 qualifying matches, 4 Quarter Finals, 2 Semi finals and 1 Final
Out of total 49 matches India will host 29 matches (including a Quarter Final, a Semi Final and the Final). Bangladesh will host 8 matches (including 2 Quarter Finals) and Sri Lanka will hold 12 matches (including a Quarter Final and a Semi Final)
5) Total venues in all :
There will be Total of 13 grounds used for this tournament
India – 8
- Eden Gardens, Kolkata, Capacity – 90,000 (3 matches)
- Feroz Shah Kotla, New Delhi, Capacity – 48,000 (4 matches)
- Chinnaswamy, Bengaluru, Capacity – 42,000 (5 matches)
- Chidambaram, Chennai, Capacity – 50,000 (4 matches)
- Mohali, Chandigarh, Capacity – 35,000 (3 matches including a Semi Final)
- Motera, Ahmedabad, Capacity – 50,000 (3 mathces including a Quarter Final)
- Jamtha, Nagpur, Capacity – 45,000 (4 matches)
- Wankhede, Mumbai, Capacity – 45,000 (3 matches including the Final)
- Zahur Ahmed Stadium, Chittagong, Capacity – 20,000 (2 matches)
- Shere Bangla Stadium, Mirpur, Dhaka Capacity – 25,000 (6 matches including 2 Quarter Finals)
- Rajapaksha Stadium, Hambantota, Capacity – 35,000 (2 matches)
- Muralidharan Stadium, Kandy, Capacity – 35,000 (3 matches)
- Premadasa Stadium, Colombo, Capacity – 35,000 (7 matches including a Quarter Final and a Semi Final)
The Quarter Finals will be held at Mirpur, Dhaka (2 matches), Ahmedabad and Colombo. Semi Finals will be held at Colombo and Chandigarh. The finals will be held at Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai
6) How teams proceed progressively to next stage?
Each team plays 1 match with 6 other team in its group. The least scoring 3 teams get eliminated and the top 4 from each group goes to knock out stage.
- Quarter Final No. 1 : No. 1 team of Group A will play against No. 4 team of Group B
- Quarter Final No. 2 : No. 2 team of Group A will play against No. 3 team of Group B
- Quarter Final No. 3 : No. 3 team of Group A will play against No. 2 team of Group B
- Quarter Final No. 4 : No. 4 team of Group A will play against No. 1 team of Group B
- Semi Final No. 1 : Winner of QF No. 1 will play against Winner of QF No. 3
- Semi Final No. 2 : Winner of QF No. 2 will play against Winner of QF No. 4
- Final : Winner of SF No. 1 will play Winner of SF No. 2
7) ICC World Cup Trophy and Prize Money
There are two original Trophies with ICC. One would be held in its Head Quarters in Dubai and the other is given to the Winning team. Both the trophies are identical, the only difference would be, the Trophy in ICC Head Quarters will have the names of all the previous World Cup winners inscribed on it.
Prize Money :
- Winner – 3 Million US Dollars,
- Runner Up – 1.5 Million US Dollars,
- Total Prize Money – 10 Million US Dollars.
8) ICC World Cup 2011 official Mascot
The official Mascot of ICC world Cup 2011 is Stumpy, the Elephant.
I am not sure how an Elephant represents Cricket or ICC World Cup, but that’s a different case altogether :)
9) ICC World Cup 2011 official Song :
The official theme / song of ICC World Cup is De Ghuma ke (3 Min 56 Sec). It is composed by Shankar Mahadevan, Ehsaan Noorani and Loy Mendonsa. It is sung by Shankar Mahadevan and Divya Kumar while the lyrics are given by Manoj Yadav
10) ICC World Cup 2011 Official Event Ambassador :
Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar
Did we miss out anything ? let us know !
[This post has been written by our regular reader – Altaf Khan]