Opera has released their year-end state of mobile web review and it has some interesting info-graphics. The data is based on users who have Opera mini browser installed on their phones (which is one of the most popular mobile browser in the world currently). Lets look at some of the findings.
Google is the most popular mobile site used by Opera users worldwide and Nokia 5130 XpressMusic is the highest sold mobile phone in the world! While Google took that seat from Facebook.com which was at top last year, the Nokia 5130 XpressMusic replaced Nokia 6300, which was the mot popular handset in 2009.
- In Mobile handset category, Nokia still rules. 9 out of top 10 handsets are still Nokia manufactured. Apple iPhone is the only exception coming in at number 5.
- Sony Ericsson witnessed biggest fall in terms of numbers – In 2009, nine handsets featured in top 30, but in 2010 only 2 handsets feature in top 10.
- Motorola does not feature at all in top 30 handset list, while LG and Samsung have one each.
- Thirteen handsets made the top 30 list in November 2010 that were not present on the list in November 2009.
- 4 Russian sites feature in the top 10 mobile sites in the world
- Tegos.ru, sasisa.ru and peperonity.com saw biggest fall in 2010!
- Twitter and Zedge are two sites that rose significantly on a global basis, whereas waptrick and Friendster became less popular as the year progressed.
- Between November 2009 and November 2010, Latin America showed the fastest growth in terms of Opera Mini users (up 308%), pages viewed (up 545%), and data transferred (up 487%), followed by South Asia. Africa and the Middle East were also at the upper end of the spectrum in terms of unique user growth, pages viewed, and data transferred.
- East Asia grew surprisingly quickly (up 335%) in terms of data transferred via Opera Mini even though that region’s unique user and page view growth rates were significantly lower in comparison.
Mobile Websites and Handset Trends in 2010
Snapshot of state of Mobile web in India
- Page-view growth since November 2009: 416.9 %
- Unique-user growth since November 2009: 301.4 %
- Data transfer growth since November 2009: 350.7 %
- Page views per user: 433
- Data transferred per user (MB): 7
- Data transferred per page view (KB): 17
Top 10 mobile sites in India (November 2010)
- zedge.net (9)
- yahoo.com (6)
- songs.pk (7)
- wikipedia.org (8)
Top Mobile handsets in India (November 2010)
- Nokia 5130 XpressMusic
- Nokia 2690
- Nokia 2700c
- Nokia 2730c
- Nokia 3110c
- Nokia 7210c
- Nokia N70
- Nokia 5233
- Nokia 6300
- Nokia N72
Here is a question – How much time before we see one of the Indian brands in this list. I think it is not too far, we should see them in next 6-8 months is my guess !