Media Monday: What Indians like to watch on TV?
Was thinking of writing a post on this for long, but somehow wasn’t getting any interesting topic to start with. But after we accumulated some data from our website iDubba, and tried to analyze it – we found that the TV viewing habits of audiences over Internet are very different from other regular watchers.
We tried to analyze TAM (Television Audience Measurement) data and compared it with our data. Though we don’t cover all the genres as of now and don’t have a comprehensive list of shows but we still thought that it be interesting to let our readers know more about TV viewing habits of different type of audiences.
As per TAM these are the top 10 genres (Cable and Satellites 4+ years)-
- General Entertainment Channels (Hindi followed by Tamil, Telugu) –Colors, Sun TV, Gemini TV
- Hindi Movies– Set Max, Zee Cinema.
- Cartoon/Animation/Kids– Cartoon Network, Nick.
- Sports– Neo Cricket, Ten Sports.
- Hindi News– Aaj Tak, India TV.
- General Entertainment Channels (Marathi, Bengali and Kannad)- Zee Marathi, Star Jalsha, Udaya TV.
- Music– 9XM, Bindaas.
- Infotainment– Discovery, National Geographic.
- English Movies– Star Movies, HBO.
- English News followed by English Business News –CNN IBN, CNBC TV 18.
If we try to understand the viewership pattern, its clear that homemakers still rule the Television (all those GECs in the top 10 list prove the same). But internet audience is very different and their TV viewing pattern is niche and unique.
Here is the list of top 10 shows/Channels which were most active on iDubba (either in terms of search engine traffic or in terms of total page views) for past one month. More than the list we’ll try to present some interesting facts which would give a better insight into viewers TV viewing habits-
- Latha venkatesh on CNBC seems to be the most searched for personality among business news editors.
- Chriss Angel Mindfreak– AXN (Magic Reality, quite strange :)).
- Tech Toyz– CNBC TV18.
- I’m too sexy for my Shoes– NDTV Goodtimes.
- Jailed Abroad– Nat Geo.
- Lapataganj– Sab TV (Comedy as a genre is not found in TAM list)
- Starting Up– ET Now.
- Do it Sweet– NDTV Good times (It’s also one of the top searched programs on iDubba)
- Emotional Atyachar– Bindass
- Wipeout– AXN.
This list looks quite logical when we see it from the perspective of internet users in India. Business, Technology, Magic, Reality and Comedy is something which young audience is fond of. It looks like we just reversed the TAM list with our data, didn’t we ;)?
What are your Favorite shows ?