10 most delayed airports of the world
We all love top lists don’t we. Now, this list is a different kind of list. Not your regular billionaire list nor is it your top stock picks of 2009 list. This list would actually help in planning your air travel better. Speaking of travel, I heard travel is the first thing to cut in every company’s budget.
When we see any list we quickly search for an Indian name or a Indian connection. In this list of worst delayed airports we don’t have to look for them. They are staring right at us. Delhi, Bombay and Bangalore figured in the top 10 delayed airports in the on-time arrival category. That should be renamed late arrival. But the list is published by Forbes and you know those guys love to be politically correct.
Europe tops the list of late departures. The delayed airports listed below are separated into worst arrivals and worst departures. Interestingly none of the airports listed are figuring in the both the categories. That means they only have one problem to fix.
Good news is Indian airports are listed under late arrivals. Which means we don’t have any problem on our side. Just the arriving aircrafts are not making it on time to India. So much for the fat salaries of the pilots.
Top 5 delayed airports – Arrivals :
- Chatrapati Shivaji International Airport, Mumbai : With 49.95% of on-time arrivals Bombay airport is the worst airport on the basis of late arrivals. It is also one of the busiest in India. To make things worse 58% of the late arrivals were delayed by more 30 minutes.
- Indira Gandhi International airport, New Delhi : 50.89% of on-time arrivals. Delhi airport served 23.3 million passengers in 2007. One of the largest runways in Asia was opened in October. New terminal complex will come up by 2010. These things should make a difference for next year.
- Mohammad V International airport, Casablanca, Morocco – 53.83% on-time arrival. 60% of the delayed flights were late by more than 30 minutes
- Bengaluru International Airport, Bengaluru : 60.16% of on-time arrivals. Bangalore got its brand new international airport only last year. It still has some teething issues but has done remarkably well so far. I haven’t visited it yet, but what I heard is the new airport is pretty good. 80% of the flights departed from Bangalore departed on-time.
- Orio al Serio International Airport, Bergamo, Italy : 60.55% of on-time arrival. 55% of delayed arrivals were late by more than 30 minutes. 60% of flights departed on-time
5 most delayed airports – Departure
- Beijing Capital International, Beijing : 47.86% on-time departure. 45% of the delayed flights late by 30 minutes or more. The late in departure’s could be because of the Olympics.
- Manchester Airport, Northern England : 49.11% on-time departure. Manchester served 22 million passengers in 2007. 48% of the delayed departures are late by more than 30 minutes.
- Venice Marco Polo Airport, The lagoon city,Italy : 53.59% on-time departures. Airport saw 7 million passengers in 2007. 50% of delayed flights were late by more than 30 minutes.
- Nice cote d Azur airport, French Riviera : 56.31% on-time departures. Served 10.5 million passengers in 2007 and is the 3rd busiest airport in France.
- Leonardo da Vinci Fiumiciano, Rome : 57.83 % on-time departures. (source)
See, the worst departures are in Europe and the worst arrivals are in India. This all kind of makes sense now. Because the flights from Europe are not starting on-time our on-time arrival statistic is screwed up.