Indian Tourism Industry has been upswing for last few years partially due to an excellent “Incredible India” campaign. I think this was one of best campaigns that Ministry of Tourism was able to successfully implement. The spurt in number of International tourists travelling to India shows that “Incredible India” campaign was a big success. The campaign has enabled India to penetrate global market and reach the ultimate consumer through electronic, print and internet media.
Given the unique and immense potential India has as a ‘vacation destination’, The World Travel and Tourism Council has identified India as one of the foremost tourism growth centers in the world, in the coming decade.
Considering the Global Tourism perspective, buoyancy in the Indian Economy and growth in the related industries like Infrastructure and Aviation, the Tourism Industry is expected to be on an upswing in India. Lower Airfares and growing middle class Indian consumers have given additional boost to this Industry. Foreign tourist arrivals to India have been showing an increasing trend, currently standing at 4.43 million in 2006, up 13% from 2005 (3.92 million). In 2007 itself, it is estimated to touch 6 million. Taking into account the fact that these figures exclude the NRIs visiting India, the total number of international tourist arrivals in 2007 is estimated to be over 9 million.
Across the Globe Indian Taj Mahal is very well known. However, India’s rich cultural and geographic diversity provides the basis of a wide range of other tourist attractions and experiences, which include among others – leisure, culture, adventure, spirituality, eco-tourism and wellness & health.
|Here are some of the experiences that a tourist can have while travelling to India. There is a lot more in India other than Taj Mahal. Here are a few “Incredible India” campaign microsites that will give insight on various destinations that a tourist can plan on visiting while travelling to India.|
|MICE||Crafts of India||Pilgrimage|
|150 years of India ‘s Freedom Movement||The Himalayas|
|Walk with the Buddha||WildLife|
Come to Paradise
|Fair and festivals of India|
Due to the efforts of the Ministry of Tourism, Government of India have led to India winning the following international acclaims:
- Conde Nast Traveller, the worlds’ leading travel and tourism journal has ranked India amongst the top 4 preferred holiday destinations of the world
- India amongst the top 5 favorite destinations – Lonely Planet in a survey of 167 countries
- ABTA (Association of British Travel Agency) has ranked India as No. 1 amongst top 50 places for 2006.
- The Incredible India campaign has been the winner of PATA Gold Award for best Print Ad Campaign and PATA Gold Award for Best Destination Marketing Campaign
- The Incredible India Campaign has been ranked as the ‘Highest Recall Advertisement worldwide by Travel and Leisure.
- World Travel Awards received for
- Asia’s Leading Destination
- World’s leading Travel Destination Television Commercial
- Worlds’ Leading Responsible Tourism Project, for Endogenous Tourism Project
- Asia’s leading tourism and convention bureau